Decorator/Handyman will work for digs

Hi there,
I thinking about retiring to France and would like to get the feel for the place first, so I’m offering my services in return for digs, terms to be negotiated.

I am a time served Painter and Decorator, and for the last 8 years have been working here in Germany as self-employed. I have been painting private houses and doing a variety of semi-skilled jobs on building sites.
I’m good at:
Painting and Decorating, Signwriting and Signmaking, Gold Leaf work. Laying Laminate. Fixing Roller Shutters.
I’m quite good at:
Installing Doors and Windows. Small Electrical Jobs.
Small Plumbing Jobs. Insulating Walls and Ceilings.
I also drive a Multivan and have my own tools.

If anybody is interested please contact me jn19542005@googlemail.com or reply here.
If anybody knows of any temporary jobs going, I would also be interested in these.
Best wishes
John

1 Like

It’s a nice idea but be aware that this sort of arrangement would put you “below the radar”, so in a sense, it wouldn’t give you an all-round feel for living in France.
From the fisc’s point of view, they would want you to pay rent for your accommodation (so that the landlord pays tax on it) and they would expect you to be registered, invoicing and declaring your income for any artisan work you do (so that you pay tax and social contributions on that, and so that there is no “unfair competition” ie taking work awat from qualified paid-up artisans).
It would need to be kept quiet because potentially there could be quite high penalties for this kind of arrangement, and in the longer term it risks complicating your dealings with officialdom because various papertrails will be missing, such as proof of residence in France/rental contract, employment status/where your income comes from/entitlement to health cover, obligatory insurance to cover any ‘gros oeuvres’ that you might do, professional insurance to cover any accidents that might happen…

Sorry to be a wet blanket but there you go, please don’t shoot the messenger, and this reply might in itself help you to “get the feel” for some of the restrictions that are part and parcel of living in France. The attitude to doing a few little jobs ‘on the black’ is very different from in the UK - of course people do it, but you can’t do it too openly.

Hi Anna,
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it as overlooked details can cause headaches and it sounds like a lot of paperwork. I know that I would not get correct feeling as a person living full time in France, I would not be making the move before September, and am just hoping to get a few weeks/months experience to see how I like it, cause if I don’t like it temporary then I don’t think I will like it full time.
As for official status, I am registered with all the appropriate German authorities and will still be permanent at my current address here in Germany. As such I will still pay my Germany health cover and pay any taxes due to Missus Merkel, that makes me a qualified paid up artisan. I can provide all invoices needed.
As i understand it I can work anywhere in the EU as long as I am registered with one of the Countries. Please correct me if I am wrong?
What is the process for people from other EU countries go to France looking for a job in a restaurant or on a farm?

[quote=“JN1954, post:3, topic:15334”]
I am registered with all the appropriate German authorities and will still be permanent at my current address here in Germany. As such I will still pay my Germany health cover and pay any taxes due to Missus Merkel, that makes me a qualified paid up artisan. I can provide all invoices needed. As i understand it I can work anywhere in the EU as long as I am registered with one of the Countries.[/quote]
Yes and no.
Yes you can, as long as you have the right paperwork. If you work temporarily in another state then strictly speaking you need to apply to your country of residence for an EU form called an A1 (although for a few weeks it’s hardly worth bothering). The A1 is a document confirming that Germany knows you are working in another EU state and has agreed to keep you in its social security system for the duration. As as long as you have this document, your back is covered and if France wanted to argue the toss, it would have to argue it with Germany. Without this document your back is not covered and if France wanted to argue the toss you’d be on your own. Standard forms for social security rights - Your Europe

Not sure what you’re asking. Any EU citizen can visit any other EU state for up to 3 months as a visitor, no questions asked. After that, the “process” depends on their status. Until they actually find a job, they don’t have “worker” status so the freedom of movement for EU workers doesn’t apply to them. There is a specific set of rules for jobseekers if they qualify as a jobseeker, if not I guess they would be classed as “inactifs” and again there is a set of rules which for inactifs includes a minimum income for legal residence.

1 Like

Thanks again Anna, your a mine of useful information, I certainly have a better idea of what I would be getting into.
As a side issue, do you know what the amount of income required for “Inactifs” is?

It’s quite low. I don’t think a lady should ask a gentleman’s age so I’ll let you look for yourself - https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12017 - click on Ressources suffisantes and then select either “under 65” or “over 65”.

1 Like

Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge and for assuming that I am a gentleman, The info will be of use if I eventually move to France.

Try https://www.facebook.com/workaway.info…that way you could move about every few weeks to check out different areas and help people with jobs ect.
You do 4 hours work a day for free board and lodging…works well for friends of mine.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm…just sayin…

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a look and let you how I get on.

1 Like

Hi Criquette,
I was on the Workaway website and found it really good, and have got myself booked for a couple of weeks (on the first day) with other invitations too. as you said 20 hours for a weeks digs. Thanks very much for the tip.
I had a bit of trouble finding the home page, but once I found it it was really simple.

Happy it was a useful link.
If you would like to spend a couple of weeks here in Finistere near Huelgoat last 2 weeks in October we would be happy to have you.
Kind Regards
Criquette

I might be up for that, what type of work is it? What’s the weather like at that time of the year?
That looks like an interesting Piece of Countryside.

Best wishes
John

Just saying what Simon?

Crikey I can’t exactly remember Catharine - it was over 2 weeks ago! :slight_smile: I think it’s about some of the posts being similar to those of an ex-member…if you get my drift…

Hi John…we usually have good weather in October and as to work it wood be a bit of painting/gardening/general maintainance nothing too strenuous.
Sorry its been so long…I lost my phone.

Hi Criquette,
I’m still up for it, I will contact you mid September.
Best wishes
John

Okay John
Mobile uk 07731649529.
Criquette