Demand in France?

Hello All,

I am planning to move to France and start my own business. I do not have more money to invest so planned for a small scale business. I would like to know what does France needs more in small scale. Which business could help me to earn some money. Being an IT professional I don’t wanna stick to IT jobs instead am open for any kind of decent business. I have ideas like farming, catering, etc. I need more suggestions and ideas to start my business.

Thanks in advance.

Frankly speaking, am not fluent in French. My vocabulary is poor and nowadays I started searching for words while speaking in French. Moving to an IT job I had no chance to speak in French and lost my fluency. Now I started to concentrate on my fluency and hope I could speak properly when I reach France. My plan is for a takeaway which could help me to get some money to open a restaurant. Even if I get an opportunity to take an elevator/lift I would prefer the stairs to face the obstacles on my way.

Yes, I have seen it a few times and it is bl**dy brilliant.

Off the subject a bit, Brian, but just had to get this in.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4

Actually Bruce, given that the young French are now visiting India in larger numbers than young Brits and given the amount of pseudo-Indian 'stuff' in supermarkets, even here in the wilderness, it is a growing taste that could be sold with the right approach. Being near one of the enclaves would mean producing the same old same old and going for a vindaloo on a Friday evening. OK, I exaggerate a little but standard so-called Indian food aimed at expats might provide an existence but never a thriving business.

Seeing that you are from Pondicherry, I presume you have French and you have English also, and want to work in catering. An Indian restaurant/takeaway in one of the Brit enclaves would seem like a good idea. So many people living in these areas would support this as they miss this "bit of England". The French connection with Pondicherry cuisine would likely attract the French as well, even though they are usually a bit conservative of such foods.

Forget about farming. Even for locals it does not work (600 farmers suicide per year). Catering might work near a train station in a big city (Not touristic places where you have few chance if you are not born in the area). Stick to IT where the is a real demand and India has a good reputation. Sub-contract development jobs in UK or India where social charges are lower. Invest slowly. Train your French.

Whatever you try, I wish you all the best of luck. France needs folk with energy and enthusiasm for new businesses.

Kent, I watched the movie and its really good. Though I cant become Hassan, I'll try to achieve something.

Well, if you're going in a catering/restaurant sort of direction, this "feel-good" movie might cheer you along. Loved it!

"The Hundred Foot Journey"

Sandra - you need to update your user name to your full real name please as agreed when you signed up to SFN. Thanks!

Its my pleasure to hear that your wife and you would be the early customers. I have my relatives located in the northern region and it would be easy for me to get their help if required. Later I would establish my business all over the nation.

I had been to a couple of restaurants in Gare du Nord and could not find a good non-veg restaurant (specially the Indian style).

If I open a restaurant, it would be unique from the others and I can provide Indian, Chinese, Continental and Mexican foods.

Looking at your name I am wondering about what kind of 'catering' meaning cuisine you would be offering and if by any chance it happens to be of the kind offered where there are many men with your forename, then my wife and I would be early customers. The nearest available place is an insult to the subcontinent. I know a few other people who would say the same. However, there is a but, there needs to be a but sometimes, if this guess I am trying is at all correct then you would most certainly need to make it of the highest class and style and not just more of the same that many Britons indulge in. Both of us have spent time there and know everything in terms of regions and some of them would stun people here, as one might say, would be the right rock and roll. That would be where difference would make you stand out and have a higher chance of success. Keep clear of anywhere near Paris though, it is overcrowded with catering and far less open to anything genuinely new and different than some provincial possibilities.

I am aware about the certificate. My uncle has a catering license and so I decided to include catering in my business idea. Do I have a couple of French citizens who are trained caterers and it adds strength to my business (if catering).

Actually Peter, it is probably as good a place as any and if it is unique enough then a good place. I know it kind of from visiting friends in the St Alvère neck of the woods on the way to St Foy de Longas and have been to the village. Lou Peyrol is opposite the church I think? So, about half an hour from Bergerac at most, 15 to 20 minutes at most from the Bergerac to Lalinde, Pressignac well populated strip and potentially a good proposition. I know of a couple of other places, bigger and one of them well over the million Euros not too far away. However, the offer has got to be unique since the number of starred restaurants and accommodation in the area is quite high, Le Vieux Logis, a Luxury being a four star hotel and restaurants in Trémolat; Au Fil de L'Eau, Couze-et-Saint-Front rated 4.5 of 5 on TripAdvisor; La Métairie in Millac is Michelin listed; La Table de Léo in Saint-Avit-Sénieur or Le Coteau de Belpech in Beaumont, all within a dozen km of St Capraise at the centre of a circle. Keeping the Lou Peyrol Michelin entry would be an achievement from what I hear about the internationally reputed chef, a challenge as much as anything else but without the centre of France cut throat competition.

I think Kent is absolutely correct - do something you already know and preferably that doesn’t involve staffing costs and other overheads. Also, from an employers viewpoint, staff contracts are a nightmare. …very inflexible and regulated - and again, costly (much more so than the uk).
Hope you find what you are looking for - and good luck with your new venture, whatever you choose!

Thanks Brian. I have some ideas in my mind and wanna know are they really unique. So decided to check with many people and if I feel my idea is unique then I will go with it.

Kent, you added a great point. "who doesn't necessarily want to continue in that field" - I like this line and its true if we plan to make our life inside 4 walls. My personal opinion is, the life will become short if I stay in-front of the computer/laptop for 8 hours and it will create mental pressure.

This made me to plan for a shift in my life and start my own business. If nothing goes proper then I might think of the rubbish websites too. ;)

I agree to what you say. I am discussing the same with many people so I could get a clear idea of all the legal works and stuffs. Hope my homework helps me to take a proper step ahead.