Dentist needed

Hi. Would appreciate any help.
I live near Brantôme and today a very filled back tooth broke at the back( I think an impacted wisdom tooth is putting pressure on it. )
I am petrified of the dentist but always visit annually in the UK to a dentist I trust. As flight prices are astronomical at the moment I think I may have to visit a French dentist. Does anyone please know a good dentist in the Brantôme/Periguex area? I am willing to travel for a really good dentist. Also I have no idea of cost but think my insurance covers emergency dental treatment.
Are French dentists like UK in that all treatment done in one go if possible?
Thanks.

Hi,
I have been to dentists in USA and 4 more countries. the 3 dentist I’ve been to here in France are outstandingly better.,
I hope you will have same positive experience as I have.

ps. I have a lot of work done and still more ahead, you might call me a dentist-dream, I have surely paid for many golf-clubs-sets over the years. :thinking:

2 Likes

Don’t attempt flying back to the UK in that condition…
The pressure in the cabin will be immensely painful and you will regret it (if you survive, that is).

2 Likes

Mine built his own aeroplane, that tops golf Peter, and a good dentist, trained in Sheffield where he met his English wife. Bit of a trek for You Teresa, (S E 56), but if it would help, p.m. I will give You a contact No.
Hope You get sorted locally. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Jeez, and I thought I had dental issues … :star_struck: :grin:

hello Teresa,
Are French dentists like UK dentists. I am never at ease at the dentists but the first one I found in France was kind, gentle and had a modern practice. (by recommendation)

Nevertheless the floating bridge only lasted 6 years and the gap of 2 teeth is now being treated in the UK. This floating bridge would never have been recommended in the UK.

As a rule, from my experience, French dentists are more inclined to pull out teeth than to save them.

regards Ken

1 Like

Thanks. As this tooth is heavily filled and my UK dentist said about 10 years ago that it probably wouldn’t last I think it’s done quite well. An extraction maybe the way to go. Frustratingly I have an impacted wisdom tooth behind and if it would come down in the bad tooth’s place that would be great. Have a feeling it’s probably not that simple though.
I would really like to get it sorted in the UK as I want to ask a lot of questions. So far it is not painful but I’m not sure how long it will remain pain free.
Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I would recommend Frederick Besse in Perigueux just behind the Palais du Justice, he has all the most modern equipement and speaks perfect English.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve also been told today that there is a Scottish dentist at la Tour Blanche. I am pain free(touch wood) at moment but it may not last so I’ll probably enquire for an appointment.

sorry his details are Besse Frédéric
No reviews · Dentist
10 Place Général Leclerc
+33 5 53 53 11 80

1 Like

I have the opposite experience; most teeth repaired in USA had to be redone as they caused severe problems: lousy dentists. My French dentist refused to remove one saying that is the last option. I would not go long with a broken tooth as you might get into a worse situation.

2 Likes

You will find both excellent and poor dentists in France as in any other countries. The biggest challenge is to get an appointment within reasonable time. Usually 6-7 months to wait for an appointment. Unless you already got your regular dentist. In that case they usually try to help you out sooner in an emergency situation.

2 Likes

Hi Teresa… if you ask your Mutuelle provider, they will probably/possibly have a list of “approved” dentists… with whom they have links…

then you can simply choose the one nearest to where you are…

:relaxed:

Thanks
Actually as we are not resident I don’t have a mutuelle provider. I will however ring my insurer in the UK and ask them for help if necessary. Every morning I wake up thinking today I’ll try to get an appointment but it is not painful yet so the coward in me puts it off. I think I will regret this but I cannot explain how terrified I am. ( it comes of a dentist pulling 3 teeth out when I was 10, no warning and no parent present).
Anyway I return to the UK on September 6th so fingers crossed.