Derek Hatton rejoins Labour the day after seven moderates resign. Is this yet another sign of the extreme left controlling Labour?

Well according to Sky news he has been suspended again

1 Like

Seems to be true as The Guardian are also reporting it, makes Labour look like idiots again.

Over something he said in 2012 to do with the difference between Israel and its government.
Is this tge gorst indication that Corbyn is seeing the writing on the wall and perhaps will go on to support a Peoples’ Vote, as mandated in the Labour Party Conference.

I think there has been such a fear of coalition government and proportional representation that truly represents the feelings of the electorate that we have ended up with a paucity of parties to vote for.

1 Like

Indeed, but wasn’t part of the recent argument about antisemitism in the Labour party because Corbyn tried to get a clause inserted to the effect that criticism of the State of Israel should not automatically be considered antisemetic?

You’d think they would have done more due diligence though.

1 Like

I agree that one should be free to criticise any government, whether Israeli or Venezuelan.

2 Likes

The whole thing is a PR disaster for Labour. He applied to join last year but only got the nod on Monday, Labour are now saying that his membership was only ‘provisional’ and hadn’t been ‘rubber-stamped’ by the NEC, yet he was in front of the cameras yesterday saying how pleased he was to be allowed back, didn’t hear anyone from the party saying that he hadn’t been fully approved.

The antisemitism question really grates on me…in my uk locality a good while back we had a councillor who travelled to Palestine/Gaza/Israel in his own time and on his own funds…he returned feeling pretty intimidated by what he felt during that experience…

Just this week I have a friend in Gaza reporting about a family who have been evicted by the Israeli army from their home where they have lived for 56 years…the illegal settlers are laying claim to it…

In USA I’ve heard that people (and indeed corporate contractors) can’t get a bank loan unless they sign to say they support the state of Israel…

Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but here’s Craig Murray’s view…

2 Likes

I think Israel can be criticised but Hatton referred to Jews and the Israeli state. I’m not Jewish but there is not any rule anywhere that says’s Jews and Israel do everything mutually or are responsible for each others actions.

I agree wholeheartedly Jane…absolutely we must be able to retain the freedom to criticise…to commit to open dialogue and maintain our rights to freedom of speech…

To add to the situation in Venezuela I was reading back in December that Maduro was issuing a cryptocurrency backed by the country’s real assets in challenge to the USA sanctions …???

@Helen6, I know you are a supporter of the Palestinian struggle but please be in no doubt that jews in the UK and here especially are the target of constant assault and abuse, there were anti-semite solidarity marches all over France on Tuesday yet at the same time a jewish cemetery was attacked with headstones daubed with swastikas.

A few months ago I thought the daily barrage of media coverage of the Labour party’s anti-semite issues were just a smokescreen to bash Corbyn and deflect news away from Brexit but I now think the party has a real problem here, the surge in membership has lead to certain people joining who hate Israel and therefore all jews when the two are often separate.

Your comment about getting loans in the US is just pure fiction surely?

1 Like

It’s the “anti bds legislation”…

Electronic intifada conducted an investigation into 10 fake twitter accounts posting virulent antisemitism…

Helen, Labour are investigating 000’s of anti-semite complaints, are you saying these are all fake?

In the Vox piece where does it say people can’t get loans unless they sign anything relating to Israel?

1 Like

I don’t know but where there are 10 fake accounts there are probably countless more…???

I heard the comment about personal loans on a chat show from a viewer so can’t verify or validate but it seems it can effect someone who is receiving even one cent from “the state”…does that come down to welfare payments or welfare loans…I don’t know…???

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t believe for one second that Corbyn is an anti-semite, he’s anti Israel but that’s different, I also agree that the ‘right’ are normally associated with racism and attacks on Jews but the fact that senior figures within the Labour think that the party has a problem with antisemitism is damning and until it is dealt with it will always be a stick to beat them with.

Just a current example of how widespread antisemitism is -

1 Like

It does seem to me that although the United Nations have voted against Israel for it policy on illegal settlements, it is still not OK to criticise the government of Israel.
There is a substantial percentage of the Israeli population who do not agree with their government.
They resent the stranglehold that the Orthodox have over the government, preventing it from being an outward looking country.

4 Likes

Let us hope so.

The Lib Dem voters rebelled against their party over University fees and destroyed their chances of staying in government.