Diabetes: Your Glucose Meter

Hear hear!

Good idea Vic! I was wondering how we could do that :)

Sorry if you think I'm bickering James. I certainly meant no disrespect to David or anyone else for that matter. I agree that the post appears to have been hijacked but how (where) else can I comment at this dinner party? Perhaps the protagonists should head off to the kitchen :-)

I agree Vic, both about the banter and the affinity felt. I think as a general point posters need to remember, whether they are laughing inside as they type or trying to make a specific, non-combative comment in response to a posting, things can come across very differently in the written word where their actual intent may be confusing to the reader. A piece of wit or a correction of a fact can come across at caustic, sarcastic or aggressive - in most cases, not what was intended at all.

Can we all simply pay a little more attention as we type? Even this may come across as a bit narky - it's not the intention, but I hope the general idea is there.

This post is about Diabetes. David has taken the trouble to write it for us, please show some respect for his efforts and stop bickering!

Alexander.I didn't see the posts but would say that I & a few others have been subjected to Brian's "robust" comments & Cate's scathing wit & survived with no ill effects. I am as guilty as the next at going off half cocked. The past Cate/Brian thing has given me, & I'm sure others, a lot of amusement. I confess a somewhat grudging affinity to the both of them & would suggest that this place would be poorer without their banter.

Cate has apologised & is probably suitably contrite. I'm sure you are well meaning but I don't see how you are helping anything. Sorry, just my take on it :-)

This is quite interesting - it relates to type 2 diabetes and reports that drinking fruit juice instead of actual whole fruits can actually increase the risk by 8% as the fluids pass through the body more quickly. Time to put the juicers away? I hope not.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/29/whole-fruit-juice-diabetes-risk?CMP=twt_fd

No real comments or anything to add about what David is saying but about how life can be.

My ex-wife is Type 1. She will be 70 next March, lives in Penang in Malaysia and works internationally. In other words she travels quite a lot. Her next trip is apparently to Afghanistan. She was here in early summer (we separated for entirely pragmatic reasons and remain close friends, indeed treat her as a member of the family) and seemed just about as 'healthy' as ever and for a 69 year old at that. We were actually together at the time she was diagnosed in the second half of the 1980s. At that time a lot of medical practitioners still took the view that it was a death sentence and that one could start counting their years. He diabetician was of another breed and simply told her to change her regime in terms of what she ate, drank, exercise, hygiene and a bit more. She was mainly working and living in SE Asia by then where diabetes was still seen much as it was viewed back in the 1950s or 60s. Basically she had to 'train' her diabetician whilst she lived in Bangkok but hit jackpot with a good one in Penang.

The point of this account is that take her example as how life can be on top of what David is saying and do not imagine you have to surrender to a life of abstention and only ever being 'careful'. It can, in fact, be quite normal.