Difference between un jour and une journée

What is the difference between un jour and une journée ?

When would you use each of them?

[A search on Google is as clear as mud… It says: 'En certains lieux et à certaines époques, le ‘jour’ commençait plutôt avec le lever ou le coucher du soleil tandis que la ‘journée’ est période diurne, du lever au coucher du soleil."]

1 Like

Une journée embodies the idea of the whole day, rather than just “a” day.

Je faisais1 mes devoirs toute la journée - I did homework all day (long).

Un jour je serai riche - one day I will be rich.

1} Or j’ai fait - actually not 100% sure in this case. Edit: - thinking about it, if homework habitually took more than one day the imperfect would be right - “Je faisais mes devoirs toute la journée quand j’étais en vacances”, but if it was a single day in the past probably the perfect - “Samedi dernière j’ai fait mes devoirs toute la journée”. Or something… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Off the top of my head… thinking about our conversations with neighbours/friends:
we say bonjour (hello) and bonne journée (have a nice day) and bonne soirée (have a nice evening) and bonne nuit (goodnight) depending on the hour
bon fin de journée is often said by cashiers if I’m shopping during the afternoon. (have a nice… )

we say quel jour for which day (when)

1 Like

The male “un jour” is a straightforward expression of this unit of time (I went to work for a day). The female word “une journée” is of course more nuanced and refers to the duration of the unit of time (the work lasted all day).

Same applies to all the time words like year, month, morning, evening etc

3 Likes

I think refers to it:

Soir or soirée ?? 🤔 useful French tip!! #french #frenchforbeginners #frenchtips - YouTube.

1 Like

So, to translate…:

Another day in paradise

… would the translation be:

A…Un autre jour au paradis

B. Une autre journée au paradis

C. Un nouveau jour au paradis

D. Une nouvelle journée au paradis

E. Encore un jour au paradis

F. Encore une journée au paradis

I’d go for E, but my written french is crap!

1 Like

Un jour de plus en paradis would be more poetic.

Journée is also more poetic than jour.

2 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes

As in a question or a statement? If asking a question I would say quelle journée?

(And the book you linked of one day in Paradise is translated, so not necessarily accurate )

My vote is with E, as sounds better.

2 Likes

I should clarify that I would love to know which is the best translation of ‘another day in paradise’ because I say it every day when I wake up in my house in the Médoc :sparkling_heart:

I would like a sign made of this expression in French.

So this is a plea to French speakers to please help me out. Which is the best translation?

1 Like

Stella - with E - encore un jour au paradis - I’m unsure but does it sound as if it’s negative e.g. yet another day here?? I would like it to feel positive.

Of course it is… that’s quite clearly so… It’s translated for the French Market… and no-one bats an eyelid… so I think that shows how flexible the French language is… hurrah…

1 Like

Ooooo, that sounds positive :sparkling_heart:

I think that it is au paradis not en paradis ??

:sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: :sparkling_heart: Une journée de plus
au paradis :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I think I’ve shifted to C as if you want positive then the new day provides that!

We can all go round and around this topic and it is fascinating.

As I’ve said… its obvious from what I hear folk saying and also what one reads in News/wherever… the language is fluid and varies… both from region to region but also between generations…and of course it will probably depend on the nuances… negative/positive… hopeful/lost cause… etc etc.

A French friend of mine has told me that “une journée de plus au paradis” seems to imply it might be the last one :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Ha ha… I’ve just started a battle royal outside. Neighbours are now disputing which would be best…although they agree that Both are suitable.

Odile reckons Un Jour de Plus… sounds “happier” while the other 2 ladies are in disagreement and mutting dark thoughts… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

For “nuanced” should one read “complex”? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes