DIY question - Knotting Solution - used in France?

Quick question:

Can someone please let me know if knotting solution is used in France and if so what is it called? (used to paint over knots in pine to stop knots staining the finished paint).

Thanks

Gomme de lac or shellac can be bought in crystalline form from many brico sheds. That said, from personal experience, it is normally well hidden and staff deny even stocking it. Just add methalated spirit to it to make it up. Personally I use zinsser bin which works a treat. I think it is possible to buy knotting solution from places like amazon fr and similar on line sites.

1 Like

Look just below the pictures

1 Like

I was told the french rub a garlic clove over the knot and the garlic oil prevents the staining

Ooh super interesting, I shall experiment - I don’t think I know anyone else who could tell me about that.

Garlic can certainly be used for cleaning wood. It’s great for removing butter or black stains from bread boards.

Is that because allicin which I knew to be very virucide is also bleach? Is that why it is virucide? Is it because it’s sulphurous - does it make a weak solution of H2SO4 when it is cut and comes into contact with water? I have killed children’s warts with it but I’m never sure how much of that is psychosomatic.

According to google Garlic contains approximately 33 sulfur compounds (aliin, allicin, ajoene, allylpropyl disulfide, diallyl trisulfide, sallylcysteine, vinyldithiines, S-allylmercaptocystein, and others), several enzymes along with 17 amino acids and assorted minerals. Who would have known?

The French aren’t daft you know :grinning:

Didn’t know there were so many - I’m still wondering about the weak H2SO4 solution though. I think that’s why onions make your eyes water but I’m too lazy to google it to make sure.