Do catholics have a sense of humour?

Why, Celeste, why is my query on a subject considered a rant in your view?

The Oxford English Dictionary,

Definition of rant

verb

[no object]

• speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way: she was still ranting on about the unfairness of it all

noun

a spell of ranting; a tirade: his rants against organized religion

It's an old-age thing. Can't remember where I put my glasses five minutes ago, but remember things from 50 years ago. Weird isn't it? Probably why so many of us oldies are into Nostalgia, as it was merely yesterday for us.

No, not bad and congratulations on your memory!

That's the fella - Roy Brookes of Mayfair!

Sad to hear, but being someone relatively close to his wings (I hope!) it's inevitable. Not sure that his works would have survived this litigation-prone, PC world we seem to have inherited.

Still, not bad to be remembered as someone who brought pleasure to this world eh?

Yes, Roy B? He upped and died, as I remember. A great loss!

You've stuffed up my weekend on that, as I remember these as the first thing to visit on a Sunday! I can't remember his name either, but they were great reads. I remember he had a Mayfair address that sort of gave it respectability somehow.

But you did nudge my memory about a guy in Greenwich, opposite the Cutty Sark, who had an antique shop called 'Robin B'stard' and I could never figure out if he was taking the proverbial or not!

I've just recalled the first name of the proerty dealer (I think?) and it was Roy something or other. That will mess up a few other people's weekends, trying to remember!

Reminded me of the estate agent who used to sell - via the Sunday Times - I think...Grotty hovel for sale, sitting-room has not got room to swing a cat ...at the outrageously optimistic price of...

Annoying me that I can't remember his name!

You're so right, Carol. People have strong beliefs in all kinds of things & will tolerate no criticism. It does not have to be religous or politically based. Fights can start because one person does not feel the same way about, for instance, eating horse meat. I have no fear of Citroen suspension systems, for example, but I have a friend who detests them. No amount of heated debate will make either of us change our minds but we remain good friends - some may not!

A prime example of humour which stir some fanatical behaviour can be seen in this youtube sketch, which I must warn you contains the use of the F word. After viewing read some of the posted comments by fans of the rival products concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaB40TLQE8M&list=FLE_Kb2zOjgz7ickG9tJimgQ&index=2

As the scene depicts Hitler may I just add that there is no inference that the Catholic Church & Hitler were in any way in league, despite what history might reveal.

but Celeste.....if the comment was about the C of E church...there probably would have been 3 replies asking about the car and nothing else....Im a 'token' C of E...ie went to a C of E church...used to go to church as a child and young person...really as a way of getting back at my parents who were athiests...I married a Catholic who had never believed and refused to be called lapsed, and nothing lapsed.....but we married in a church, C of E as he thought it showed more committment than marrying in a register office....I think most C of E peeps take no notice of slurs....Life of Brian hardly brought the country down...you couldnt have done that about any other religion on the planet! I feel if a person is confident in their beliefs, then nothing another person could say would affect them....its like someone saying your an idiot when you know you are smart, you should be able to laugh it off.

agree Brian...

Illegitimi non carborundum or 'don't let the 'bar stewards' grind you down' Shirl? I think you picked up the 'Nil illegitimo in desperandum carborundum' version, whatever.

One of the problems with political correctness is that it allows all the people who are politically correct at different tangents to disagree with each other and pick holes in everything. I, for humanitarian reasons, find the Vatican breath-takingly hypocritical but a joke gives that light relief. Let your hair down and enjoy people...

I think the quote you mean is 'Nil Illegitimi Carborundum' which was inscribed on the tank of my 1939 500cc Norton (ex-War Department) Bought as my first ever vehicle in 1956. It was beautifully done in Gothic Script so presumably had seen service in Germany. Would do 60mph downhill with a following wind, and you could hear it coming a mile away as it had no silencer to speak of.

After having three accidents (more falling-offs in reality), I finally discovered what the inscription meant which seemed so apposite 'Never Let the Bastards Grind You Down'.

Never forgot - and never did!

Keith,

Please withdraw your highly offensive personal attack on me! No car I sell is "blessed" with anything - embellishments such as those you describe would definitely be charged as an extra. :)

Oops! I thought I was responding to Celeste and Tracey! I think the reply button is adrift - or more probably I am.

Yes! Got it in one little cube ;-)

Sounds like you have seen the film 'Soylent Green' with Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson?

Politically correct carrots! I'll stick to cow muck - makes much nicer burgers, and who can tell the difference anyway? ;-)

Yeah, solves all the problems, good idea Celeste!

Yup, that's funny! Would tempt me to view the car.

I am religious. Am i offended? Not in the slightest. Could it be misundertood? Any thing can, and often is.

I see your point, humour catches the attention and sells. However its not as easy as people think, thats why we have groups of people in the industry we call “comedy writers”. These people research, script, edit, read, re-edit and test. Nothing is “off the cuff” even Lee Evans improvised, shakey manner is scripted and rehursed to the minutest detail.

It was topical, thats good. But it dwelled on one curren affaire which is probably why people took offence. They may have thought it was an attack.

NEW CAR FIT FOR NEW POPE - this heavenly vehicle would suit any new pontificate, a real blessing to drive (holey water not included for wipers). Full service history and more reliable than a cruise liner life boat, seats just as many (vehicle non-amphibious). For just 1300€ you could be the proud owner of this spacious motor and not only have the boot space, but enough money left over for all the horse lasagne you can eat.