Does anyone here (in France) live on a boat?

Why do you presume that if something is for sale at €100,000+ the owner would consider an offer of half that amount?
In my experience the French inland waterways are far more interesting than those in the Netherlands but, as I’m sure you know buying a barge in one country doesn’t stop you moving it into another.

The market for barges slumped about the time of the recession, the baby boomers had lived the dream of sailing the French canals now wanted out. The market became saturated and, ever since, a buyer’s market. With brexit it’s also having slight insecurities.
Holland has the volume and variety of barges and bargains, as in France, are there to be found. Some barges have been on the market a long time, the owners are asking what they have paid 10 years ago. Age is forcing them to sell at a much reduced price.
If you only require a boat for the summer, a cruiser up to 15 metres is ideal. Central and northern France gets very cold and damp in the winter, not ideal for living aboard.
Dutch style barges are, in general, been converted with Dutch winters in mind. Depending on your requirements, barges up to 15 metres are easier to find moorings for in marinas. Over 20 metres, new regulations require a higher standard and are classed as commercial barges.
I came to the Midi in October and winters here are not so damp. However already the " rent a boat" crowd are out in numbers!!

Dennis you are a world of knowledge :slight_smile: Thank you I am also wondering where would you suggest in Holland would be
a good place to begin my search for barges ?
Also i dont plan on mooring in a marina . self suffiecency is the ideal, with that in mind are bankside mooring fees applicable like the UK or do you have to continuously cruise to avoid such fees?

Thank you for your reply Dennis The information is very honest and helpful.
Is there anywhere in Holland specifically to commence searching for a barge to purchase. My partner is also very involved with this project and she is even more keener than I am to live afloat
So we both have alot to learn over the next few months or possibly years.

Best regards

Music Boutique… please can you tell us your proper name… ?? :grinning:

1 Like

OK, this thread has got us thinking about maybe having our next adventure and have looked at the apolloduck.com website. I’ve had boats in the past, but mainly runabouts, but is it possible to get one of these big 30x5m Dutch barges through canals in france down to the Med? I wouldn’t mind summer in the north, but not winter . Also, are they seaworthy?

1 Like

To cruise from north and central France to the south there is only one way via, the river Soane to Lyon then it’s the river Roane down to the Med. It’s not for the faint hearted! Major problems are the ice melt from the Alps, the Mistral, and the heavy commercial traffic. You will enjoy the locks, up to 24 metres deep, but with the sliding bollards, it’s a chance to make a cup of tea and get your feet up!
Some barges can and do cross the channel, but you need a masters certificate or a pilot. Very few barges are built for the sea and getting insurance is one of many difficulties.
Just out of interest, I bought my 17 meter barge in Rotterdam and sailed it, over a period in three stages, single handed to Castelnaudery. Many say I was foolhardy, but it’s an adventure I’ll never forget. I am now thinking of the return journey!!
but I had the assistance of my two border terriers!

1 Like

Sorry, that should read the river Rhone. Don’t you just hate predictive texting!!

It’s still an option for the future, but the more I think about it the more questions come to mind, like what do you do about post? (come to think of it, not that bothered as I only seem to get bills) and doctors - I guess you can’t really define a "médecin traitant " if you don’t know where you will be in a few weeks time. And would we still be french residents?

Post can be a pain. I had a post box as my marine I was based at frequently mislaid my mail for weeks. I have a friends address in France as my residency. They now get my mail and photocopy to email. I also have a carte vitale and a la Poste bank account. I am now travelling the canal du midi having wintered at Castelnaudary, a very lively port, for 5 months for 1000 euros, including electricity and water. Climate was good, non of the cold damp I had in St Jean De Losne. I hope that answers your queries. Internet access can be varied so sorry for the delay in replies.

1 Like

Thanks, all useful information. I have another question if you can help, what sort of ( approximate ) fuel consumption can be expected for moving this sort of barge? I know they have fairly large diesel engines, some at 200 hp. Also, for the generators? Realise it’s difficult to give anything accurate, but anything helps.

There’s not many, but fuel consumption is one of the downsides to barging in France. I have a small 17.5m by 3m barge weighing 21 tonnes. It has a 87hp Ford marine engine. Sailing quietly along at 6km an hour I consume 4 litres. I average, on a long journey, 40km per day, depending on the number of locks. Each lock can take 15 min.The big ex commercial barges have fuel tanks storing up to 3000 litres. Most barges are not cruising every day. You travel till you find a suitable mooring that fits your needs. It is your Home, so you tend to stay for a number of weeks. Some barges carry their car on the deck, others use the railway system to retrieve their car from the previous mooring. You then explore the local countryside before moving on.
Living in a barge may not suit everyone but it is an active lifestyle, great way to explore France , and you are constantly meeting new people from all over the world.

Thanks Dennis, all good and useful information. It’s going to be a few years before we will be in a position to sell up and seriously think about what to do, but a barge is at the top of the list at the moment.

The kids think they will get a house…

1 Like

Have you read this? It’s a lifetime out of date but a great read.

Thanks David, no I haven’t but just ordered a (2nd hand) copy for 1 p :laughing:

1 Like

http://www.h2ofrance.com/
Try this site also, for barges and boats for sale. We visited them in St Jean de Losne, Burgundy.

Thanks

Oops!

http://www.ladbible.com/funny/uk-viral-man-spends-five-years-renovating-a-boat-only-for-it-to-sink-20170629?c=1498753365952

1 Like