Does having an online private teacher make you an employer?

I thought that this was a pretty big clue.

obviously you have not paid her by cheque d’emploi (CdE)…

I couldn’t sleep for worrying… but now I know it’s alright…

over and absolutely out… for the count…

1 Like

Thanks for explaining what CdE stood for and worrying about me! :blush:
Hope you have a good night.

Please let us in on the secret. Paying by CdE just means paying via a particular system, no physical cheques needed. Paying by card does not rule anything out.

The whole thing sounds dodgy.

In the only dealing I had with Superprof they never got back to me about a refund as I didn’t have any lessons in the end. I had paid via PayPal who then refunded me as Superprof didn’t reply to them either.

Definitely don’t lie on anyone’s behalf.

1 Like

I paid throught the site, which didn’t mention anything about cheque d’emploi :confused:

Definitely don’t lie on anyone’s behalf.

Luckily, I said “I need to think about the consequences of lying before I accept.” :smiley: and the prof has become really hostile after that.

Oh it sucks that you had that experience with SuperProf. I think I’ll be cancelling after this incident too.

Hi, did you get any invoice or notice of hours worked to make the payment against?

Yes, I got an invoice with hours and the full amount.

I was going to sign up as a teacher with them, maybe I won’t now!

Mmm… does signing up with them… make them… your Employer??? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

so the invoice indicates that this is a ‘business’ that you’re dealing with even if the business is a ‘one-man-band’/sole trader.
If it’s a business then you are NOT an employer of an individual.

I’ve been on Superprof for years as a teacher and I have always arranged payment directly with the students.

Some have opted to pay by cheque emploi and yes, this does mean that they are my ‘employer’ in terms of paying my social charges which they then can offset against tax. The going to a house / being online thing is a bit of a red herring because many of the services covered by cheque emploi don’t necessarily need to happen in the house - think of shopping / ironing / dog walking for starters.

Personally I think your teacher is at the least unplotted and at worst, dishonest. If she didn’t make the T&C clear from the start you are under no obligation to pay her by cheque emploi. I would request a refund, and find a new teacher and if she doesn’t refund you the money, report her to superprof. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

6 Likes

That makes me feel a bit better! Sounds like it is this teacher that is the problem, not superprof themselves. I better do some more reading up on how it works then so I can offer for people to pay like this if they prefer. Sounds like if there are tax advantages it would be advantageous for me to offer this to help people.

1 Like

It’s really simple to use and yes, people get 50% back as a tax credit so it means both sides win . I get 40 per hour in my pocket , with no ‘cotisations’ to pay on that, my ‘employer’ pays 52 (ish) but gets 26 back. You can find out all you need to know here https://www.cesu.urssaf.fr/info/accueil.html

That does sound good, I’d heard about another system where people could get 50% back but when I looked into it it was ONLY if you only taught at their homes and I hope to do a mix of homes / online / groups after school. I’ll go and have a read. I’m presuming it is OK to use this system along side ME for those that dont’ want to do the cheque emploi? Off to have a read - thanks!

Yes, it’s just offering people another way to pay.

Hi,
Thank you for your insight.

The going to a house / being online thing is a bit of a red herring because many of the services covered by cheque emploi don’t necessarily need to happen in the house - think of shopping / ironing / dog walking for starters.

This makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I would request a refund, and find a new teacher and if she doesn’t refund you the money, report her to superprof.

If I say that she didnt make her T&C clear from the start, would that be a good reason to report her and not declare her? I wonder if SuperProf would tell me, “Well it’s the law to declare her, and you should have known that.”

You can pay your / any teacher in cash / cheques / bank transfer or card payments. What they then do with that money and how they declare it is between them and the tax authorities.

If you agree to pay your teacher / dog walker / cleaner / handyman by cheque emploi - you cannot make the payment without it being ‘declared’ - it is all part of the automated process. So I would point this out to her along with the fact that this was not what was agreed at the start, and request a refund.

2 Likes

Hi Catherine,

Thanks a million for your reply. One last question. Is there a website that basically says that? Because at the moment, SuperProf says students should declare their teachers. If there is a site that says what you said, I can show them that and ask for a refund.