Does Taxe foncière have to be paid by direct debit?

Hello everyone,
I received a letter in the mail, which said that all Taxe foncière over €300 must be paid by direct debit or online impots.gouv.fr. I paid my Taxe foncière by cheque last year because the government website was down when I attempted to pay online. The letter states that payment through this method would incur a penalty charge in the future.
Do I have to set up a direct debit, or can I pay future bills online at impots.gouv.fr without setting up a standing order? Is there any benefit to setting up a direct debit? It appears as though there are two direct debit options; monthly and yearly payments.
Thank you,
Jackie

I think you answered your own question…

2 Likes

As in “Read my lips…” :joy: Voilà !

1 Like

Great, thank you. I just wanted to double check. It’s better to look stupid online rather than upset the tax department! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Jackie I apologise for my facetious response, uncalled for and rude. I know the feeling you describe, and it’s perfectly normal and legit. :cry::hugs:

If you have a French Banque account you will presumably also have a CB (carte bancaire - sometimes also known as Carte Bleue Visa) with it.
The French fisc website allows payment by this method for sure and if you pay early, the money is not taken from your account until it is due plus some extra days grace.

2 Likes

I never knew that, @graham you clever thing you! :hugs: