Dog car transport blankets/hammocks

Now that my dog journeys have come to an end I am in the process of converting my Peugeot Partner back to a car and the cages where the rear seat used to be have gone.

So I have been looking at blankets that I have seen for protecting the rear seats from dogs and one thing bothers me. They all appear to be attached to the back of the front seats which leaves a space under the hammock where it crosses the leg room of the seats. Can this be strong enough to carry the weight of dog who ventures on to it, and if so, up to what weight has anybody experienced?

Hi David, sorry can’t answer your question, but I have concerns on your behalf. Those dog hammock thingies, if you get one, will you be able to secure your dog(s), say to a seat belt click-thing? It’s not safe just to leave dogs sitting on back seats, even if they are well-behaved. In an accident, a dog flying forwards maybe what injures/ kills you. At the very least, if a door flies open and the dog can escape, you may lose them (happened to someone I know).
We have our dogs behind the back seats behind a dog guard for precisely these reasons. And when we’ve got the back seats down we put in a cage and secure the cage.

1 Like

The one I’m looking at Sue does have openings for anchorage point access and I have also been looking at a dog lead with a clip one end and a male anchorage fitting at the other. I would of course only use this with Jules’ harness as, fitted to a dog collar may well be worse as a sudden impact could break the dog’s neck.

But I thank you for the thought, an important one. :grinning:

I’m currently trying out one of these with mixed results…my elderly boy who is the heaviest doesn’t really trust it so I’m filling the void below on his side with blankets in bin bags…

I also have a dog guard behind my front seats as there is always a rush by one to sit in the passenger seat :grinning:

I travelled here with my 3 border collies (since lost one but now have a pup so I still have 3) in an old Volvo estate over 5 years ago with no crates or guards or belts or fixtures and only travel sickness from one in the first half hour of a 16 hour journey….

I remember the old days of my kids and my collie riding on trailers stacked high with hay bales and my kids and my collie riding in an open backed ex military land rover through built up areas….stopping at traffic lights where my collie could have easily jumped out and caused chaos and no harm coming to any of them….sometimes I long for those days when life was just life….

I have a Renault Laguna now and a crate from U.K. for my pup that doesn’t fit in the boot so now I’m trying a guard behind my back seats and a guard behind my front seats…I have two oldies that will happily get in the car whatever the arrangements and a pup that is currently not so happy with getting in the car…

I’m not anticipating changing my car any time soon so I am always looking for a stress free resolution…

Thank you @Helen6. I was worried that either Jules would not trust the lack of firmness in the blanket ‘bridge’, or would and, as a result, damage the cloth or its fixings with his weight. He is 38 kgs.

I did consider filling the void with something but that seemed to invalidate the idea of changing the vehicle back to a normal car. However, your solution with easily removable bags, sounds like a good idea and I will bear it in mind if I buy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Suggest buying a car with leather upholstery - it’ll age better for both dogs and owners (and unfortunately will also probably age better than dogs and owners).

All our upholstered furniture is leather too - textiles can look great, but rarely so after thirty years of human, cat and dog usage - my favourite sofa was bought half price in Liberty’s 1990 contemporary furniture sale (with free delivery to N/c upon Tyne) and is still in great condition).

Bit late for me @DrMarkH , This may well be my last car and if it isn’t its replacement certainly wouldn’t be new. :wink:

I bought a hammock, which is a car specific item with the possibility to connect the harness to the car’s safety belt. I bought it at Zooplus. You can order it specific to your vehicle and year of production ( f.E. Peugeot Partner 2018) and you will get a well fitting hammock, which can also be washed, because with winter coming, Dirt is guaranteed!

Thank you @Annie2 I will look into that, I have bought from Zooplus before but there are also good examples on my usual supplier Amazon fr.
There is no rush so I have time to take care with the decision. :slightly_smiling_face: