Dog & Cat Food help

I used to buy them in uk as a treat…x :slight_smile:

Mine have their own preferred “private” eating spaces…easy to wipe down after…if something is likely to smell you could always try feeding it frozen/semi frozen …???

If I buy them raw fish off the short date section then I do usually freeze it first and give it to them frozen/semi frozen…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feed our aged Whippet on tinned food which we have delivered on Zooplus. The tinned food she likes is called “Wolf of Wilderness”
the Sanglier variety. It is high content meat and wild berries. No cereals.
She was very stinky on normal biscuits and raw meat which I think was down to the cereal content. The croquettes by the same manufacturer are also cereal free. She was getting a bit plump, not a good look for a whippet but on this diet shes lost more than 2 kg. If you order more than a certain amount you get free delivery.
I would add that if you have to travel with your pet fresh food is not an option really.

Hello Ian, thanks for your reply. Good thoughts - as I said zooplus is great, with free delivery, plus they DO stock some more obscure brands like Wolf of Wilderness. It gets great marks too on All About Dog Food - which is an amazing website if you don’t know it - they ‘score’ dog food based on nutrition, contents and price. WoW gets 4.4 out of 5 which is really high.

As for travelling with fresh food it works ok for us. We make and freeze our food - take it in a freezer box and chuck it in the freezer when we get there!

(yes, you can - see butternut box for established companies in the uk - lucky for me they’re not in France!)

Get to know your local hunters…from october to march we have a free supply of sanglier from them, with the odd deer and chevreuil. Just the offcuts that they throw away is enough for about a third of his food. We cook it up, and he loves the stock.

2 Likes

thanks Jane - i’ve got a fox terrier melange, ‘George’ - who is silent apart from when the chasse is near when he HOWLS and lets us all know what’s going on… we’re not short of free, wild and local meat!

Thanks for your reply, when we have travelled to the UK it meant nights in hotels or B&B,s. We took fresh food with us but it was difficult to keep fresh. Wolf and Biscuits from now on!

sounds like a prospective client I had in Australia - the difference was he was making hamburgers for a popular range of retail outlets! You could smell his plant from about 500 metres away.

Thanks for the site info. I can’t say my cat Jonksy is a picky or fussy eater, but he is defintely more so than the five strays that live in and around our garden who will eat just about anything. Sorry to say but price tends to be the dominant factor in all this. The strays are simply beautiful of the beige and black Siamese type - and great talkers! Mostly croquettes from me but I am sure they either hunt up most of their food or others are feeding them with better stuff as they are in beautiful condition.
One thing I DO know is that now having lived in a country house surrounded by farmlands, I have never even seen a mouse here - unlike other areas.

They would have to be nutters or tourists I think?

My 2 cats are Siamese/Bengal crosses and I agree that they show excellent hunting skills. The younger one is always bringing in lizards and anything else she finds in the garden but carefully brings them in unharmed to show me her new “toy” - neither of them have ever killed anything.

I have a small walled garden in the centre of a small town and luckily don’t get any cats in the garden ( my 2 would not be pleased and I am a sucker for any stray animals) - the only time I have seen another cat was at dawn one morning when I was up early.

With regard to food for “owned” cats cheaper foods can be mostly rubbish fillers and so cats eat more of them - food with a higher protein content may seem more expensive but when you work out the serving cost may not be much higher - and less food eaten means less poo!

If your strays are finding plenty of wildlife to eat that is the optimum diet for them - they eat the whole thing. Biscuits will be a great addition for them and may be more necessary over the winter.

Not sure about no social ties Paul. We have now three générations of cats including the Mother, and there can be no doubting their family Relationship - affection and the odd clip around the ear from the Matriarch. There are now five in all - and all are strays, but in excellent condition and I am allowed to stroke three of them on special occasions - I feel quite honoured! I have named them all (fatal as it gets you involved) Mum is Muffin, Button and Spexy are her daughters and Bandit and Misty are the grandchildren.

We do have to Watch out for early births and the Maire does the necessary as soon as we find them provided they are too young to know they are even alive. It is a time we hate, but it costs far too much to get them neutered. Do they work? Not in their own minds I am sure, but for me we have never even seen a mouse in our house and we are surrounded by cuntryside, so we assume that indirectly yes they are working on our behalf - even though we know it is only for food in reality.