Doing the reverse of you all

Well why not go for a job overseas in a French lycée? You can spend 3, 6 or 9 years living & working abroad and still retain your status as fonctionnaire d'état, build up points for any subsequent postings & that way you won't lose out on pension etc rights and also there won't be any disruption to your children's education.

What did you read at university in Glasgow? Do you teach in collège or lycée? Because you could also, depending on what you read, do the DNL qualification which would give you more options.

Jean-Louis,

on that basis have you given any thought to Online Teaching to widen horizons whilst still being employed? Take a look at www.lynda.com to see what I mean.

cheers!

Thx to everyone. it's great to see that advising and friendship are values still cherished by the human kind. it's one of the reasons this site is great. I have now enough information to make up my mind. the wife fears my losing the "fonctionnaire d'état" status, which I can understand. My kids are young (9 and 2 1/2) I think they wouldn't have problems integrating. But if my OH doesn't want to jump into the water then I will not force her to follow me into this fancy. I like the UK, that's one of the reasons why I chose to teach English, the question is "do i like it more than the security and well being of my beloved ones?" the reason is obviously "no"...My choice is made, after reading all your recoomendations and advice, I think I'l stick to teaching English here...Thx again for all your help.
love.
Jean-Louis.

It's a funny thing as my mind was also travelling, as the vast majority of my unplanned life was all about.

What about the opportunities of 'real' adventure in Asia or even Eastern Europe. I spent a lot of my years there, not teaching, but I do recall there seemed a constant demand for English, and probably other language teachers in both areas. Can't say I am up to speed these days, but I would seriously be looking at China if I was 30-40 years younger. If it IS adventure rather than some 'career move' then the money isn't so important, but the experiences will last a lifetime as they have with me.

Amazing for children too! I would definitely be casting my net wider. UK? Nah!

Ever considered Ireland?

Hi

Forget the fact that "the UK is lovely" and any romantic visions you or others have and look at the financial side.

The practical side of the UK.

Generally =

Higher taxes.

Higher house prices.

Higher fuel costs.

Higher retirement age

lower pensions

High unemployment (around 5 million. A lot of them hidden by Government (get their mates rich quick) schemes )

and if you are unlucky enough to be out of work a benefit that most Europeans laugh at.

Also with a lot of idiots, Sorry people wanting to leave Europe would you be allowed to return to the UK if it happens ?

Look deeply into this or you could regret it

If you take all angles into consideration and move to the UK then good luck with the adventure

My wife was a full time English teacher in a State school and over the last 10 years became very disgruntled with the Education system and the unruly children. She was glad to take early retirement and move to France where we've found children much more respectful and family life more integrated and supportive of children.

I can echo Wendy Ells thoughts nothing being permanent or irreversible as long as you are inventive - if I hadn't married my adventurous husband I wouldn't have lived an adventurous life that some say they envy but they could have done it too ! This included living on a boat in the Med ( his dream ) then keeping a few horses in the New Forest ( my dream ) and now building up a smallholding in France ( our dream ). You can plan and prepare and think about the worst that can happen til the cows come home. Sometimes it is better to do it and cope with tough bits as you go along BUT deciding to come to France from UK in our 50's we were able to devise a ' get out clause ' which younger people may either think unnecessary or not possible; we kept our UK house and let it and I gave the project 5 years after which we could move back to UK ........ year 6 and I will not be going back ! I would think if you like towns and cities and don't mind the rat race you will be fine. If you are looking for space and harmony, move to the French countryside. Good luck with whatever you decide - have a get out clause / plan B and you will be fine.

Wendy -what about Death and Taxes? :-D

True, do your research. But you knew that anyway otherwise you wouldn't be on here asking for advice.

But then, follow your heart. Obviously your family need to be in accord, but isn't that how families work? I shouldn't imagine this is something you are considering without involving your wife and kids. It's not a fancy, it is a genuine desire for adventure, something we all need.

We, as a family spent four years in Sri Lanka and have now lived in France for two years. We don't plan on moving off again any time soon. It has been a time of learning, of opening our minds, of discovering more about the world, ourselves and what we want from life than we ever would have gained had we stayed in our steady jobs in the UK.

Nothing is permanent, nothing irreversible.

Good luck with it all!

I agree with Liz... and I think you'd have a shock becoming a teacher in UK, if you are making a comparison with here. Teaching staff have a higher status and are treated much more respectfully by pupils and parents here in France. If your children are of school age they may not thanks you for pitching them into an environment that can seem more overtly harsh and undisciplined, and of course they'd need english. Becoming a lecturer of young adults and adults would be the way I'd try and steer, as you wouldn't have to also deal with the parents!

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in peter's house re: the son returning! Many a time OH and I wonder what young French would make of UK, living there, etc. I guess the 400,000 in London like it enough to stay for the mo :-)

I agree with you Liz about a sabbatical - Jean-Louis, if it's possible to obtain an agreement with your employer to take a sabbatical - even just a few months, with visits back to the family and Skype, it may be enough for you to get a sense of whether it's truly a deep-seated urge, or simply something to experience and then move on. A taster experience.

Please think this move through. Can you take a trial position or sabbatical from your French post before committing to a life-changing move. You may have graduated from Glasgow and have fond memories of your time there, however Scotland has changed a great deal in the last ten years. I think a private school may be better, but there are so many pitfalls in the teaching profession in today's UK, (best friend retired very early from a head teacher position she had held for many years, in sheer desperation through constant stress due to current OFSTED rulings and dicats and threatening parental attitudes) I would seriously talk to teachers in the UK, go onto social media teaching groups to get the flavour of where you intend to teach.

It's like most things J-L, you need to weigh up the pros and cons.I haven't spent any time in the UK for decades (except for a couple of days over the years for funerals !) but my son who is french wanted to 'experience' England so found a decent job in Cambridge and is enjoying it three years in but he is now saying he's had enough and wants to come 'home'. His pros about the UK are the social life, the availability of work and 24 hour opening and sunday opening of shops etc. That's all the pros and the cons well...the amount of traffic, the weather, the quality of foodstuffs except in Waitrose, the NHS which is pitiful (and dangerous) compared to the Hexagon, the quality of the roads to name but a few.

The status 'fonctionnaire' is precious J-L - a job for life with all it's benefits !

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

No expert in this but I would advise caution especially with a family to consider. I have long-term teaching friends in the private sector based in Scotland and he has been looking for a better job (from a Housemaster position) for several years now. Last I heard was he was considering a role on the Isle of Skye!

I was a Professor of Marketing (independent) for two major Business Schools , and worked contracts which was quite good, but doesn't make anyone rich.

I think the 'what have you got to lose' comment from John is one you should take seriously, but probably not in the sense in which I think he presented it. It's fine to chase your own dreams, but when others are involved like your family, you should be sure they are sharing them. The grass isn't always greener.

Of course if you don't try, then you will never know will you? It is for you to feel what is important not for others. Will you get bitter and frustrated if you don't 'have a go'? What happens if optimism doesn't prove enough?

Can you try and find a position in the UK before heading off there? I may have misread your post, but just going on the off-chance and hope in today's world is risky I would suggest. Try and have a Plan B just in case.

This website is what you need. https://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/ I suggest you go for a job at an independent boarding school where you may well live in and incidentally get 2/3 off the fees for your children plus holiday/after hours access to tennis courts/swimming pools/etc etc etc, longer holidays, better quality of life (OK you'll be working a 18 hour/day, 7 day week in term-time, but you know, swings and roundabouts...)

Thank you for your answers guys...Need to think carefully again. Leaving a status of Fonctionnaire with a wife and two kids to live out a fancy is something I need to think over. But seeing your replies make me think that I may not be that daft after all. : )

Well, you can make money. You will be welcome. There is no limit to the number of hours you may work per week, so if you wanted you could work in a bar at night, or a restaurant, on top of your regular job. People who are prepared to work hard and long hours are rewarded.

Go for it! I did exactly the opposite, languages teacher (french and italian) in the UK, UK degree and BAC+4 here. There were 5 of us in the languages dept of my last UK school - 2 Brits and 3 French so I think that answers the question for you. BUT teaching is a different job in the UK - you're there and responsable all the time, no going off-site between classes, 23 hours contact teaching a week + duties plus + tutor group and you need to get involved, if you don't you'll be pushed out - the head hires and fires as he sees fit and teachers do get sacked in the UK, not just moved on as in France, but I'm sure you know all about that.

If it’s what you want to do it. Most of the UK is lovely and there are plenty of great places to live. You would find some things very expensive and others absolute bargains, most people seem to live within their means and cut their cloth accordingly. I was born in the UK, spent most of my working life in Germany and now live in France. I have really appreciated being able to enjoy that flexibility and believe that my life has been enriched by my experiences. France suits me and allows me to do the things that I enjoy doing in a pleasant, good value environment. For me my standard of living is higher here in France than it would be in the UK for the same money. However that’s me with my hobbies and pastimes, if Britain ticks your boxes, go for it; what have you got to lose?