Domestic use of well water

We are looking to move house, into town. I mention ‘town’ because we have seen a property, in town, that has no mains water, but uses water from their well.

There is a compressor and tank - in the basement - that run an airpump in the property’s well when any tap is opened.

If anyone has such an arrangement, or knows:

How is the drainage charge worked out? The house is on mains drainage, but of course, does not take mains water.

What other problems might there be: Sanitisation? Well running dry?

Finally, we are told, by the immobilier, that getting mains water laid on would cost between €1000 and 1 500. I am sure mains water runs past the house, so from the road/pavement is about 25m.

Anyone any experience, please?

I would be tempted to get a quote as this seems cheap to me.

1 Like

After 20years on Well in UK as no mains was available… I do know the ups and downs.

If Mains Water is passing the property you have seen, I would insist on Mains Water being connected.
I think it would be an idea to confirm just how much it will cost (not just take the Agent’s word for it) … and when/if it is indeed possible to get Mains Water… before signing anything re the Property…

You’ll need to check with the local Water Supplier… and possibly the Mairie…

best of luck…

2 Likes

Both. France is undergoing increasing issues with sécheresse meaning less accessible ground water levels. Now and for the future it is essential to have access to a more secure supply.

The immobilier, however pleasant, is primarily interested in making a sale for the seller. They are likely downplaying the water supply issue and underestimating the cost to connect to the mains supply. Find your own person to give a quote on what this will cost. Alternatively, suggest that a mains water connection would be a required condition of the purchase? Worth a try.

2 Likes

They are primarily interested in making a sale, for themselves

3 Likes

Oh @Mark, I didn’t like to say!
:face_with_peeking_eye:

(I am also becoming wary about using emoji after they seem to be so popular with chatbots)

1 Like