Dover congestion

No schadenfreude, honest, on my part. Maybe some or many of those poor people trying to holiday in France actually voted Remain. But what is all this nonsense about ‘despite extra ferries during the night’?

As the blame, as always, seems to be on French controls at Calais, what will extra ferries achieve apart from emptying Dover and filling up Calais? :astonished:

I suspect porkies. :thinking:

1 Like

Absolutely, the problem is at passport control due to increased checks introduced since Brexit - significantly tighter checks to be done later this year which will make the current delays seem minimal unless appropriate implementation is done - we all know this is unlikely so expect the additional checks to be delayed.

Different year, same crap as usual, O we didn’t think the Easter break would be so busy …really :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

2 Likes

I’m not sure anybody from the management of the Port of Dover have said that. The passengers can’t be processed any quicker, there isn’t the space from what the independent experts say.

In an announcement the port said that ferry companies had received 15% more coach bookings for the Easter period than the port had initially anticipated when it began planning four months ago, so did the bookings all happen the day before the start of the holiday :wink:

That’s quite different to saying we didn’t expect Easter to be busy

I popped back to London by train recently. It was a breeze as the trains are three carriages shorter, so 150 odd people less which is what they can process through their god-awful e-tickets gates.

No great fan of eurostar, and no doubt prices will change to reflect this. However they looked at new post-Brexit situation and adapted business model. Not exactly rocket science?

3 Likes

This carnage happens every year so you would think they would plan accordingly, it shouldn’t be a surprise to them.

Isn’t French passport control on the English side at Dover? (Le Touquet agreement)

I don’t know, haven’t been that way for many years, so, if true, how does it help to have extra ferries, unless, as has been said @Griffin36, both Dover and the ferryers are useless at planning?

I don’t know the detail, nor if ferries were cancelled because of bad weather added to other processing delays.

Last year the problem was not enough French on the passport booths - if that wasn’t the case this year and passport checks were not the bottleneck (though I understand they de-prioritised coaches because of the number of passports to check) adding extra ferries would help.

Dover has some unique problems given the lack of land area available, right now it is extremely sensitive to delays causing even slightly longer processing times than normal - <Deity> only knows what it is going to be like when EES kicks in.

Whassat then? Google say it is yellow cheese. :roll_eyes:

The Schengen “Entry-Exit System”.

Rather than physical stamps in passports it will be electronic, but with biometric tests - most likely fingerprinting - to confirm ID. That means (eg) all the occupants of a car will have to have fingerprints done rather than, as now, a quick glance to make sure they look roughly like their passport photo.

Then there’s ETIAS…

We’re doomed, doomed I tell you :grin:

3 Likes

Much as I hate to llink to a GB news clip this was the longest/most detailed explanation from Simon Calder.

5 Likes

The less odd people the better IMHO :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So basically, Brexit. The wind and the waves played a part and the ferry operators misrepresented the coach bookings, or sold space they did not have, but it all boils down to Brexit.

Just a thought then, how do British Nationals but French residents fare arriving in a car for example in Dover? Is there a separate queue or do you still have to inch forward till you get to French control before being waved through without the other stuff? Presumably we don’t need visa or stamps, just a passport and CdS. Is that right?

BTW, I didn’t know Angela Rippon had migrated to the dark side. :astonished:

Some years ago I spoke to a ferry officer about why some coaches had not boarded the ferry when here was ample space on the vehicle decks. He stated that ferries are licenced for a maximum number of passengers and coaches often have up to 50 passengers and this ferry had embarked the licenced number of people.

Perhaps coach numbers 15% higher than planned when added to a high demand for cars carrying 4 or 5 people created a situation where ferries were up to passenger limits?

Excellent clip, couldn’t be clearer, it’s a Brexit bonus :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Plus, Angela and the other dork couldn’t grasp that the problem is only going to get worse.

We were the first from our flight through the electronic passport scanners in Marseille airport on Friday, after which they immediately broke down. We heard an exasperated border officer exclaim “ça commence…” as she emerged from her booth to redirect the queues.

2 Likes

Well, it looks to me as if she needs to fund a significant botox habit :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like