Drive a French registered RHD car?

My Insurance Lady remained seated when issuing the Insurance, except when she took a copy of the V5… and afterwards, all the info thereon went into the computer… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

At no point was RHD mentioned as being detrimental, but my Insurance Lady made the point that French Registration should be sought asap (and, of course, it was all done and dusted within the fortnight). :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Insurance lady (agent), couldn’t care less Stella, only interested in Her commission.
It’s the company will develop a keen interest in the event of a claim, (as they do) :wink:

Mark,

the “malus” tax only applies to new cars, not pre-owned ones. Ours have been imported since the introduction.

Grahame

I do have some experience with Insurance Companies… Bill… both in UK and here in France. :relaxed:

I do not foresee any major problem… :grin::grin:

Great :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Grahame, can you let the french government know? They are under the impression that it is chargeable on second hand cars being registered for the first time in France as well.

" L’immatriculation d’un véhicule particulier particulièrement polluant acheté d’occasion à l’étranger donne lieu au paiement d’une taxe additionnelle, appelée malus , lors de la 1re immatriculation en France.

La taxe est calculée en fonction du nombre de grammes de dioxyde de carbone (CO₂) émis par kilomètre ou de la puissance fiscale du véhicule."

Don’t you hate it when the goverrnment doesn’t know the law??

But surely the amount paid decreases with age so if you import an older car you have little or nothing to pay. It’s all very well bringing in variables but the whole picture needs to be known.

Then look it up on the internet - the truth is out there!

Mark,

we did let the French government know.

Our first BMW 530D was registered during the chaos of the changeover to the new registration system. They hit us with the “malus” penalty.

We complained, visited the prefecture showed them the regs from the government web site, insisted on seeing the chef du bureau and they refunded the malus.

Our second BMW 530D was imported and registered without problem as a change of address from the UK to France.

I did.

It depends on the age of the car, department that you are in as well as the fiscal HP & Co2 figures. Can you tell me what those are & we can see what the “simulateur” figure is. All the above will affect the malus figure.
It is not usually charged on cars over 10 years old unless it is a monstor but it IS charged on second hand cars that are over a certain power, not just new cars as you stated.

As I said there’s a sliding scale so the cost drops with age.

That reply was for Grahame. He stated that the malus tax was only for new cars.
If you know how the system works why would you want someone to put the whole thing on here?

As an exercise I have put in a 2012 BMW 530d & picked some figures out of the air as an example. This shows a malus tax of 520 euros.

Démarche : Première immatriculation en France d’un véhicule

Importé en France après avoir été immatriculé dans un autre pays

Genre national (J.1) : Voiture particulière (VP)

Date de mise en circulation (B) : 31/08/2012

Puissance administrative nationale (P.6) : 12 CV

Energie (P.3) : Gazole (GO)

Carrosserie handicap / Carte d’invalidité ? : Non

Réception communautaire ? : Oui

Taux d’émission de CO2 (V.7) : 189 g/km

Département : Charente

Coût du certificat d’immatriculation

Y1 - Taxe régionale : 492,00 €

Y1 bis - Taxe additionnelle voitures de forte puissance : 0,00 €

Y2 - Taxe formation professionnelle : 0,00 €

Y3 - Taxe additionnelle voitures de tourisme : 0,00 €

Y3 - Malus CO2 voitures de tourisme : 520,00 €

Y4 - Taxe de gestion : 4,00 €

Y5 - Redevance d’acheminement : 2,76 €

Y6 - Taxes à payer : 1 018,76 €

Coût de votre certificat d’immatriculation : 1 018,76 €

makes me glad I’ve only got a right-hand-drive bicycle… :grin:

1 Like

Do it for a 2008 Model and ?

Some other people only read what is written on pages like this.

What for?

To know how the system works. Giving snippets of incomplete information doesn’t help.

Here you are, David. You can put in any info you like & it will work it out for you - knock yourself out.
https://www.service-public.fr/simulateur/calcul/cout-certificat-immatriculation