Drive a French registered RHD car?

Sorry Mark, I know where to find the information, I was suggesting that your throw away one liners don’t help some readers. In tonight’s thread you have carried in proving that what you said was correct without acknowledging that you were right for some cars but wrong for others. Giving onlynpart of the story just adds to the confusing. Perhaps it would have been better if you had posted that link earlier rather than trying to disprove Graheme’s posts.

Just did the calcs for my Daimler and it worked up 270.76 Euro for a first time registration - but zero malus taxe.

Not too shabby that!

That is if, of course, I am still allowed to import said Daimler come the time!!!

Is it a 1990 car Carl? It should be straightforward once it’s over 30 years old.

Grahame stated that “if you buy a large engined RHD car in the UK at a substantial discount because it is very unattractive to UK buyers and import it to France at very little cost…” Nowadays large engined cars can be taxed quite heavily & this has caught some of my customers & facebook group members by surprise, making the cost of importing one quite expensive.
He also stated in his next post that the malus tax “only applies to new cars, not pre-owned ones.” This is not true & I quoted from the french government site on this to correct him. At no time did anyone ask for specifics as to which cars at what age & size are affected. If someone wishes to ask me if their car would be subject to this tax then they may do so but this is not the subject of this thread.

1 Like

He also wrote that his cars were 2001 models!

You are OK, Carl, but you would feel sorry (well, a little, anyway) for someone wanting to import his 2004 Lamborghini Diablo Special Edition GT. No Malus tax as such but an extra 8000 euros in “taxe additionnelle voitures de forte puissance”. Enough to make some wonder if it is worth it!

Yikes!!!

But then, if you can afford to buy the car then you can afford to tax it!!!

Yes it is David.

When the time comes to take it over permanently then I will be speaking with the FFVE.

1 Like

He was not being specific when he talked about buying a “large engined car in the UK” & imported at very little cost.
You started the thread moaning about insurance values of reasonably valuable RHD cars & now you are fixating on import costs of old ones
By all means discuss the topics but do you really have to have a poke at anyone who dares post anything which might correct misleading comments?
We are talking about high end imports here & the existence of a potentially high import tax should be pointed out. Importers can then do their own research to find out if it applies to them.
There is a Facebook group that deals with those wishing to find out about the pros & cons of importing cars. I’m admin on it…

2 Likes

Sorry to correct you yet again but I started this thread to warn owners of reasonably valuable RHD cars not to moan about them. Thank you for warning me off that FB Page.

Mark,

it is true for the age and type of car I imported and when they were imported.

Those are the facts of the situation, no deception with the French authorities, the Carte grise confirms all this.

Best,

Grahame.

David’s post refers to “cars might be worth €25-30000 less than they think.” That would put those cars in the new to nearly new category of expensive luxury cars. The malus tax applies to cars from 2009 onwards & is imposed on their first registration in France whether they be new or used. Most family hacks would not fall into the malus tax bracket.
Your first post stated “if you buy a large engined RHD car in the UK at a substantial discount because it is very unattractive to UK buyers and import it to France at very little cost then the sums are very different.” The importing a large engined car at very little cost would not apply to post 2009 cars because of this malus tax which you then said “the “malus” tax only applies to new cars, not pre-owned ones.” which is incorrect. (You might have noticed the little hat against my picture, hover your pointer over it)
It is a simple matter to google “malus tax” & you can check for yourself.
My next post was a possibly clumsy way of trying to get you to do just that before compounding your error.

I have never said or implied that you have deceived anyone or have done anything dodgey. Your only error was telling everyone that the malus tax only applies to NEW cars.
It does not, & it can add thousands to the cost of importing large engined cars.

Example: 2013 RANGE ROVER SPORT V8 5.0 S/C being brought over today. Apart from the usual bits & pieces the actual cost of registration would be 9310.76 euros. That’s 25% of its UK value! Enough to make even a footballer’s wife think the money would be better spent on a hand bag!

2 Likes

:rofl: