Drivers on phones in France risk licence loss in 2019

I hired a car in Naples a couple of weeks ago - that was an eye opener!!

By some miracle I returned it with no more damage than when I collected it.

1 Like

We can talk about miracle here Paul ! Not because of you of course, but I personaly won’t drive in Italy as I won’t drive in Marseille either in Lyon !

2 Likes

:rofl: Well Done Paul :+1:

Rearview mirrors are not considered more important than using a mobile phone whilst driving

I used to love driving in Italy, the drivers there always had great special awareness and drove with confidence and concentration presuming that the other road users would being doing the same.

I cannot understand why this has not been made illegal.
It is obviously just as dangerous.

Or Sicily. Total mayhem in towns and cities. Never worked out why they bothered with one way streets . No one took any notice. They straddle lanes , sit almost in your boot and pass so close they almost take your paint off! Don’t even get me started on the motorbikes weaving in and out of the traffic or the fact you get beeped if you aren’t psychic enough to know the lights are about to turn green in one second . Actually found it scarier than India , Bangkok and Vietnam! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

After some discussion we opted to have the hotel pick us up from the airport in Naples (and drop us back). It was more expensive than the “tariffa predeterminata” fixed rate taxi fare but the general view is that it can take a lot of determination to get the taxis to actually agree to the fixed fare and it was a bit cheaper than I found private transfers for online.

The driver - Paolo - turned up in an X-Trail which he proceeded to weave in and out of chaotic traffic in a manner I can only describe as charmed.

Sadly, however, it is clear that the Neapolitan driver’s 6th sense does not always work - most cars we saw in the city bore the scars of minor collisions, including the hire car we had for the last day, very, very few were unscathed.

2 Likes

5 Likes

All good advice Graham :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: