Driving in France with a UK license

Hello John
My international licence, issued in France, was needed for my hiring a car in the Philippines ( I could speak a little Tagalog and most people there can speak English ) so no problems with understanding another script. I also needed it in Indonesia for hiring various transport ( at the time I was almost fluent in the language and some can speak English) and the police there insist on it ! So it depends on the country, but if I travel outside of Europe I will still carry an International licence ! :slight_smile:

A french photocard licence does not have your French address on it so how do the French manage?
Reference to your earlier post.

Exactly Anne. It is not a license, it is an official translation of your national license.

just reading this but Anon71231711 I have no idea who that isā€¦

Donā€™t know Chasā€™, but they located me to send a speeding ticket, and a point. :unamused:

Anna.

yet the rules state our names must be displayed#

or is it separate rules?

Well we applied at the end of Jan for our French liscene and still nothing!

On another subject. We know of a UK car which has lived here for many years and still has UK plates!

I can not understand this. It is driving around and what would happen if it gets stopped by the police?

What should happen, car impounded and driver and passengers shot?

I see on a daily basis cars with one headlight, dodgy break lights, bits missing from the vehicle. The French macon I used to work with drove his van for two years without any CT.

Which is worse?

That is extreme.
But my other half is sure that these people must have a special insurance.
But the law is the law.

Seems it can take up to a year for the exchanged licence to arriveā€¦

I wonder whether the UK registered car was taxed & insured? (You can check tax status on DVLA website) as thatā€™s the only thing that worries me. If people want to keep UK reg and pop back to UK every now and then for MOT so get UK tax and insurance at a UK address then at least thatā€™s some effort to protect other road users.

Locally we have several people with very unroadworthy looking cars they use for pottering aroundā€¦ but they do have their CT stickers - and they usually have a flasher car for other uses.

When people leave their name is replaced with anon.

oh our car is far from posh but it legally travels on the French roads.

They are not really protecting other road users in any significant way, the fact doesnā€™t change, French residents still have to register their cars within a month of bringing them into a France.

ahh good to know.

Maybe more important for the rest of us road users, hits someone or something, insured???

That is true.

1 Like

I know that legally itā€™s still wrong, and basically makes no difference. But somehow it makes me feel better inclined towards them as itā€™s as if they give a &%^* for their fellow humans. Those that just carry on regardless with uninsured, untaxed (where appropriate) and unroadworthy vehicles show no regard for anyone but themselves.

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to exchange my licence at our Prefecture last year with no problems. We have compiled a dossier for my wifeā€™s licence and sent it off to Nantes and although we have not heard anything yet, we do expect to receive a rejection as we do not need to exchange the licence. At least we have about four years to get it exchanged.