Driving license exchange

so maybe we just need to wait until a policy is agreed which then will go out on various sites…I suspect until then what is on ANTS, will be either be out of date or change regularly depending on which way the wind is blowing…nil deperandum.

Isn’t that just the automatic response when you submit? It doesn’t confirm that your application has been accepted when you receive something like this?

Votre demande en ligne n°44220190208123 relative à votre permis de conduire a été acceptée.

Si votre nouveau permis de conduire vient en remplacer un plus ancien, vous devez détruire cet ancien permis à la réception du nouveau.

Blah, blah, blah

Cordialement,

Le service instructeur

Ministère de l’intérieur

1 Like

Yes, it should say on ANTS that it is ‘under investigation’ I think, until such point when they will look at it and either accept or reject the application, that as you say @JaneJones is just an auto reply acknowledging it has been submitted, although that in itself does seem odd if others aren’t even able to get that far, so I wonder whether something’s changed or if @Nigel-at-BUF-House is just lucky, or more important than the rest :wink:, and has managed to make it happen!

Well, you pays you money and you takes your choice John. :slightly_smiling_face: I just know that in my old job if one of my mangers came in to my office and said that on a critical issue they were going to wait and see, then they’d have woken up in the carpark six floors below :joy: I’m a great believer in a defenestration now and then pour encourager les autres.

2 Likes

Hang on! I’ve had a French driving licence for years. But I’ve a horrible feeling that when you reach 75 you have to sit another test.

I don’t think so.

There is a discussion going on ( at some sort of government/ high level) as to whether or not age-related stuff should be brought in for Older Drivers… insisting on medicals perhaps… that sort of thing.

I was reading about it only the other day in Sud Ouest journal (I think) … as things stand, it is up to the Ordinary Driver to decide whether or not they are capable enough to continue driving and it is not for government to dictate an old-age limit and/or impose medicals.
… so no changes on the horizon just yet methinks… :thinking:

We opened an account on 21/12 and our application has sat in that status since then !

1 Like

Is that an issue?

Of course it is if one is one’s seventies.

Surely if you can’t take / pass the test due to advancing age, you shouldn’t be driving?

9 Likes

Excellent!! :rofl:

1 Like

Took me three attempts… over several years…before I gained my driving licence back in UK.

First time, being young and foolish, I thought I knew it all… huh
Second time I was too scared of doing it all wrong… huh, silly me
Third time I didn’t give a darn… so I relaxed… and it worked… :hugs:

My driving has not caused any problems/accidents/near misses/whatever
and I would say I am as safe a driver as any and possibly safer than some…

However, I wouldn’t relish taking the test nowadays… unless they can allow me three attempts :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

I passed first time Stella but there were shades of similarity for a different reason.
After a few minutes of touring around the examiner announced it was time for the three point turn. I executed the first turn and set the controls for reverse but I failed to engage the clutch sufficiently. Instead of going backwards the car rolled forward and there was a scrunch as the number plate scraped the kerb and I uttered one word, that word being “shit”. The examiner politely replied “Sorry?” to which I responded " nothing".
We left the car as it was and got out to inspect the damage. Fortunately there was none as the examiner kindly pointed out and he instructed me to get back into the vehicle so that the test could continue. In my mind there was little point to that as the damage was done but I went through the motions as there was nothing else to do and cruised around Bexleyheath, totally relaxed and wondering how long I’d have to wait for another test.
When we got back to the centre and he told me I had passed it was my turn to say “Sorry?”.

I think it is specific to the licence you hold. I have one of the folded in 3 cards with photo and so far as I m aware, the licence expires when I do…

3 Likes

@graham @Yosushi

Un permis de conduire au format “carte de crédit” délivré depuis 2013 est valable 15 ans. Les 1ers renouvellements interviendront en 2028. Le renouvellement consistera en une simple démarche administrative : il n’y aura ni examen de conduite , ni contrôle médical à passer.Nov 14, 2019

The general credit-card type licence is good for 15 years and is simple to update…
the link gives full details.

(for those of us with the rose coloured, threefold… we have to change to the credit-card type of licence by 2033… so no need to rush) :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

They’ll have probably ironed out the teething problems by then :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I started out with the pink one and now have a credit card type which also has expiry date of 2033

Just to add it runs from 2018 to 2033 so yes it’s good for 15 years.

1 Like

This has raised a question in my mind.
I have the credit card version which I acquired in 2018. I still have my pink 3x folded version which I acquired in 2012.
One difference between the old and the new is that the old one has my address on but the new one doesn’t.
I recently used the new one as proof of residence but it wasn’t accepted as no address.
My question is:
Can I use my pink folding license as proof of address? ie. Is it still valid?
Just to clarify, I would use it for proof of address to a UK bank so how would they know if it was one of 2 licenses I have.

I will be happy to still be alive in 2033 but not if I have lost the plot :wink: