Driving under curfew

Although not quite the same as your original question, my (pregnant) wife and I went to the UK in Oct, before the lockdown, then got ‘stuck’ in the UK as they and France both imposed lockdowns.

We had to drive back to our home here in south France because of sage-femme appointments but were very worried about travelling during the confinement. The French government websites were a little confusing as to whether a negative Covid-19 test would be required or not, and also whether we would be able to travel. That confusion was enhanced when I spoke to the Gendarmerie and they told me that we WOULD need a negative test to cross the border, as well as proof directly from the sage-femme of an appointment AND proof that we live in France.

We also had a fear that we’d be stopped at every single péage and asked for our attestations, and that the hotels would question our stay.

However, it was quite the opposite. We crossed the border without any questions being asked (we didn’t even show an attestation, let alone a covid test!). The Autoroutes were excellent (relatively empty), there were no checks at any point. We also managed to stay in a hotel in Dijon and they did not question why we were staying. If we weren’t already aware that there is still a lockdown situation here, we wouldn’t of known!

Not sure if it’ll get stricter once the Curfew comes into play, but for sure during the confinment, travelling through the entire country over 2 days, we had 0 questions asked, or problems of any sort. Just thought I’d mention in case you were as worried as I was!

1 Like

Thanks Russell.
I’m well armed with attestations, tax returns, house deeds and the receipt for my CdS application, hamster birth certificate, Airfix club membership card etc etc.

I work on the theory that if I have everything, I will be asked for nothing. If I have nothing, I’ll be asked for everything!

3 Likes

thought Attestations were not needed after the 15th or do they remain for 20.01to 05.59…Elderly French people have deja Vue to 1940’s

On the day, if the website allows me to produce an attestation for my phone, I’ll have one :slight_smile:

New attestation will go live/be released on the 15th for those who HAVE TO travel between 20h00 and 06h00. I need to be in work for 05h30 next Monday, for example, and will fill out the relevant section of the new (yet to be released) attestation :wink:

Retire…then you can stay a-bed until the sun is up about 08.30 :slight_smile:

1 Like

:smirk:

In “the local” it was reported that for return traveling the curfew will be extended. No problem for going home directly after disembarking.

1 Like

Just to say that the new curfew attestation can be downloaded here, or generated within the tous anti Covid app.

You cannot drive between 8pm and 6am except on Xmas Eve.

It seems that you can as long as your reason is covered by the attestation referred to in my earlier post.

1 Like

You can drive if it’s justified and you have the attestation duly completed and you are advised to have proof too. I do so for work :wink:

I’m signed up to the UK govt travel advice so I get notifications of changes. This explains the latest rules under curfew, and gives links to the new attestations in french and in english.
We will also be breaking curfew on 30th when we drive from London to near Macon in one day and so won’t get home until midnight. The attestation explains extraordinary circumstances of travel (like a flight landing late etc) and we will be carrying essential residential proofs since we have only just applied for the CdS in October for the first time

Hi Kate, just in case the UK government website doesn’t have the same latest advice as the French site, (:wink:) you can follow my link above to the Official French site. Also, if you search for and install “tous anti Covid” you can generate any required attestations on your phone - and get up-to-date information on the state of spread of Covid-19 in France.

2 Likes

Thanks! Will have these for our return on 30th Dec

But the latest attestanion states
“Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys”
Nothing about long distance road travel…or is there another attestation I ve yet to find ?

I think I read somewhere that road travel is meant to be within the allowed hours…
(except for workers/essential staff like doctors… that sort of thing)

(although it did go on to say that gendarmes might not be too harsh if one was only a few kilometres from home when curfew came in ie 8pm.)

I just rang the hotline who told me it was forbidden to travel outside the hours of curfew and that there is NO attestation for road travel…(at least I think thats what he said, as he spoke very fast indeed.)

well, there you go then… :wink:

and just to be extra clear, here it is from the English version of the attestation:

“Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys”

i.e. not linked to ferry/shuttle travel as you should book to arrive at a time allowing you to continue your trip during daylight hours or if you do arrive during the curfew, you should wait/hole-up/hotel or otherwise , then travel/drive during the day :wink:

2 Likes