Drought - la Secheresse - WildFires 2022

I noted that and thought of you… it seems that Fires are springing up all over the place…
and until the water is sufficiently absorbed by the undergrowth et al… I suppose it remains dangerous… similar interdictions are in force elsewhere as well.
take care

This is my house in earlier days, and the well, which is legally available for my use. Would getting it going again be a good idea – it’s very deep.

1 Like

I’d certainly get advice on what needs doing/costs etc… an alternative source might be useful.

1 Like

With all of the storms around right now and the recent huge hailstones around Bordeaux that you can still see the damage on cars - it got me wondering are these damaged cars covered by insurance that have been pimpled and windows broken by hail? @fabien

My family in Texas regularly get enormous hailstones and when they know its expected to fall, they get their vehicles either under cover or place old mattresses over the windscreens etc which is a good idea for recycling old unwanted bedding of all sizes. Insurance is included for hailstone damage in their policies obviously at extra cost but when you have a muscle car sitting outside, its a good idea.

Hopefully the rain has helped to extinguish this and all the other fires :pray:

1 Like

I can certainly report that our two cars (insured by Pacifica and AXA) are covered. Other half’s car was fixed last week - a day to remove 33 dents caused by the hail.
My car is off on the 6th September to be assessed for similar repairs.
The modern dent removal systems (PDR) are very impressive.

1 Like

In this area private wells have also been controlled. Can’t take water out of any natural source, even on your own land. (How they control this is another matter!)

More lovely rain

Visibility much improved though

Hi Matt, it’s always covered whatever the insurance company for those who have a fully comprehensive policy. The only difference depending on the policy and the circumstances (event being label as natural disaster… or not) is the excess you may have to pay :wink:

2 Likes

Still grey, but no rain in La Manche (50)

Still fires breaking out…

What is quite interesting is that France has suffered less damage than Portugal. But the news rarely mentions the rest of Europe.

I’ve been vaguely following other countries, (Portugal as we have friends living there… ) but I wasn’t posting, as it’s not France.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/faits-divers/incendie/feux-de-foret-france-espagne-slovenie-un-ete-record-de-surfaces-brulees-en-europe-1d0f26a8-1baf-11ed-8000-7fb0522b2f23

I pity whoever is living North West of Bezieres, towards the Tarn border at the moment, which isn’t a million miles from where I am. Looking at lightningmaps.org, they’re getting a real battering. Currently showing 270 strikes per minute and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I think the inevitable accompanying rain and hail will be making things much worse.

That’s vicious! Just looked at blitzortung

2 Likes

Just had a massive storm here in 34 - heavy rain, thunder and lightening…then all the power in the house went off! What a process, as I have a breaker in the house which is fed from the garage, which in turn is fed by the main EDF breaker at the drive entrance. First stop, garage, but couldn’t get in as an electric garage door, so fortunately fitted one of those emergency key release locks couple of years ago. Got in the garage only to find that breaker was still on. Next stop the main breaker at the end of the drive, meanwhile getting soaked and lightening all around. I rather nervously walk down the drive, press the remote gate opener and nothing! So now it seems I’m locked in my own place! The gate opener has a back up battery, but clearly not working. So now have to fight through enormous amounts of undergrowth to ‘break out’ of my own place, which is intentionally very secure. Finally arrive at the drive entrance and the key wont unlock the electric box. Can it get any worse… yes because the heavens opened even more! Finally got into the EDF box and reset the breaker that had tripped out. Alot of lessons learnt and a few things now added to the check/action list, meanwhile very very wet! And today was going so well :sleepy:

I have always been terrified of that - mainly the fear that I couldn’t get out in a fire, or run from someone (not that I can run faster than s snail). Our weird house has 9 external doors on the ground floor, and we usually forget to lock at least one of them.

When ours trips out due to lightning I usually leave it until the storm has well and truly passed (or the morning)