Eighties music suggestions - Let me have your three favourites!

Talking Heads " Stop Making Sense " albumn!

and "Burning Down The House! off "Speaking in Tongues" oh dear, I'll never et to sleep tonight now...bugga

and virtually the whole Kate Bush Albumn HOUNDS OF LOVE oooOOOOOO memories

It's Raining by Fela Kuti (the short version from 1980 Liberation Albumn) he started the genre "Afrobeat" - I didn't know he'd died of AIDS in 1997 -amazing political activist - had 27 wives at one point, Suddenly divorced them all. The Nigerian military set fire to his home an imprisoned him for 20 months until Amnesty made them let him go

Back on the Chain Gang Pretenders

Prisoner UB40 (from UB44)

mainstream pop has always been pretty rank aside from the rare exceptions. I used to love the old grey whistle test and Andy Kershaw kept me sane.

These days its Joolz Holland and BBC 6

The 80's produced some absolutely genius music from so may sources. It was an explosion of mixing of cultures with incredible world music phenomenons

I loved music in the 80s. Am just so really enjoying revisiting it thanks for this idea x

OH YES!

And dancing like no one is watching!

I always thought of the 80s as a total waste... When checking, most of those that I first thought of were released late 70s or early 90s. I suppose every era has its classics... and its superstars. The 80s had Robert Palmer's, "Addicted To Love" - Peter Gabrial's "Sledgehammer" and ZZ Top's "Gimme All Your Lovin'". All just happened to have iconic videos too.

I was there too. I also saw the Albert Hall one with Carla Thomas, Arthur Conley, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Booker T. & The MGs and the Mar-Keys. I still have the programme somewhere. I also saw Otis in Chicago and Monterey in 67

I am always amazed by Mayall. Clapton played his penultimate gig on 16 July 1966 at our 'school fair'. I had just left to go on to uni where lo and behold Mayall turned up with Pete Green back on the axe as he had been back in 1965 during my first week there. Back in the 60s I saw the old boy intro'ed by Alexis Korner, who my mate the late sax player Johnny Almond was standing for Dick Heckstall-Smith with, at a gig where he backed Blues Incorporated. I also saw him on the John Lee Hooker tour in 64 several times. Now in his 80s and plugging away at it. For all of that, over the years I simply wish he had not stuck with guitar, piano and harmonica and sung! He has never cut it! Nothing much to do with the 80s but luvverly reminiscences.

Love to know where you saw Otis. Me at the ram jam club in brixton

Here you go...Not only did I have a roughly 80's theme party for my 60th, we recreated that classic video of Elton John's. I'm Still Standing. It has been my 'theme tune' over the years. Perhaps you or Catharine have one too? :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6Fo0l7450

CSN are still going Hilary Jane, I've a dvd of a 2012 concert and the music is as good as ever. I watched Status Quo a couple of years back and I think they are better now than when I first saw them in about 1974 ! i even watched John Mayall in Limoges not that long ago and he can still do it too !

I see that Hotel California n The Eagles have got several mentions.......but there are fantastic bands that have survived across the decades (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, etc) and one band in particular, that I only caught up with in the last few years and is regularly on the old tape deck in my car, famous for one ofthe best guitar instrumentals of all time (Jessica...Theme tune to Top Gear).....and such beauties as 'Melissa'...THE ALLLMAN BROS.....Unspeakably good and classic stuff.....see hear.....& enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyjQ_12M6k

Right on. I have hundreds of blues records, matched to an extent by soul. I even saw Otis Redding, Sam and Dave and, and, and... It's just that those two sources were the origins of then filtered into the Chicago house and Detroit techno stuff and were potentially exciting, then slid it down a cul de sac...

Ah, well then. :) Let's see... Billie Jean would do. And Sacrifice by Elton John...

Oops! After much deliberation I only managed to narrow it down to six - sorry! Iā€™m happy to send them to you as MP3s @ 128 kbps if you'd like (?) They're all danceable.

Beat It 1982 Michael Jackson + Eddie Van Halen

I Won't Back Down 1989 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Dressed For Success 1989 Roxette

The Look 1989 Roxette

Cuts Like a Knife 1983 Bryan Adams

Run To You 1984 Bryan Adams

Same here a 48er but my musical roots were pure soul. Even then the Chicago sound in the U.S. Was huge with acts like the impressions and barber shop groups like the dells.

Not like the Ted Heath Band eh BM ?

Hotel California came out in the mid-seventies acually but it's still a classic Ruth.

For some reason that reminded me of Gary Numan/Tubeway Army with Are Friends Electric. Numan was interviewed (I think it's on the OGWT album) and said he was always physically sick before going on stage and the TOTP recording of their biggest hit was the worst he'd ever felt !

I am a 1948-er but until music became seriously 'samey' in the last few years, there has always been great stuff around. Sure, I had the Stones, Yardbirds and so on as local bands and knew a few people who were big names in those days from where we all grew up and they began playing, but I can see that it all followed on from there, innovation after innovation and always great stuff in amongst the dross. A lot of real innovation ended with Chicago house and Detroit techno with the rap and hip-hop now drawing on both but having gone nowhere for a decade. The Brit-pop scene has been a waste of space, even back at the time of the Blur v Oasis period (both are rubbish when looking back) with the likes of Morrissey and at the time the Smiths total mediocrity. They have to pop up (pun intended) in any 80s thing but they are cringe worthy which is why I started this thread with the likes of Patti Smith and Laurie Anderson who were real innovators and really exciting.

hmm... Hotel California -Eagles, The Captain of her Heart-- Double, Africa -Toto. But really, so much good music then...