UK Election anyone?

It seems pretty far fetched but Brexit skews things in odd ways.

Gotta love the LibDem’s optimism (despite being a supporter). In a FPTP system, they have no hope in hell of becoming the leading political party with a majority to command parliament, given the fractious situation in which the UK finds itself, which means…yes, you guessed it, another coalition. I wonder with whom that might be, eh, given as Mrs. Swinson is to vilifying the Labour Party ?

So, on its own, I can’t see LibDem Party will ever command a majority to revoke A50. Add to that the fact that a few of the heavy weights in the LibDems are either silent, or at least complicit in the privatisation of parts of the NHS (due to apparent personal “interests” in privatised health care companies) and their fate is sealed. In many people’s eyes, the LibDems are just another Tory party waiting in the wings, just a little bit “wetter”.

1 Like

True, but given enough seats they could hold the balance of power - they need to take lessons from the disastrous pact with the Tories though.

Swallowing “grass snakes” springs to mind as an apt French expression describing how the LibDem/Tory coalition last worked out.

Nobody has ever tried to take away my rights as this Tory government has done.
Not only me, but many others and as Cat put it, I am incandescent.

JoJo still chasing unicorns i see, BloJo isnt sure if it is a red or blue bus and wurzel gummidge hiding behind his onions. What a miserable pathetic shower of wannabes they all are, headed by the grinning muppet on the chair. Lets get Flarage in and have some fun and humour in the chambers.

Honestly Swinson getting a majority is also a joke. She will be losing seats along with the other parties and hopefully the DUP completely, at the next election. Like someone else posted the Brexit party will be playing the field.

I would agree that unlikely to get a majority but I think LibDems will do pretty well as a share of the vote - whether or not that becomes seats is another thing.

Looks like Boris is seeking a safe seat.

This will be a mega interesting election campaign with swingers likely in all directions - largely upredictable unless there are pacts etc.

It would be hilarious if he lost his seat!

3 Likes

Well he has a dodgy 5000+ majority in Uxbridge which could suffer with increased Remain % plus the Brexit candidate. He would be wise to find a safer seat.

He’s definitely considering it Peter, there is even talk that he’ll go for Beaconsfield which is Grieve’s seat.

I think a December election is a gamble for all the parties, the Tories need a majority to ensure Brexit actually happens, Labour will be looking for a new leader (and a new direction) if they get a hammering and the LibDems have to win seats from both the Tories and Labour to show they mean business.

There are amendments being tabled to allow EU citizens and 16-17 year olds to vote.

Either of these could significantly change the outcome, especially EU citizens.

I have been in touch with my Electoral Officer and the Election commission,
If, because of being caught up with early Christmas posting to France, we do not receive our ballot papers in time, there will be no way of scanning and e-mailing them back to our constituencies.
Any change has to go through the Cabinet Office.
I have also been in touch with my MP, who has said he will take this up on behalf of French, and other overseas electors.I have also asked Lib Dems in France to make representations as to possible disenfranchisement due to postal delays.
Please all contact your MP’s to raise this issue.

This could well affect a referendum result but I wouldn’t have thought it would make that much different in an election.

Downing Street has confirmed it will entirely pull the general election bill if MPs attach amendments to extend votes to either 16- and 17-year olds, and EU nationals.

If true this tells you all you need to know about how No 10 thinks it will affect the result.

The above amendments not accepted, looks like there’s nothing to stop an election now.

A constant message that Katya Adler, BBC Europe editor, gets from her sources is that, irritating/frustrating as it may be, the EU will never cut off its nose to spite its face by denying an extension. Not even Macron wants to have 26 other fingers pointing at him, after vetoing one, as the man who precipitated a No Deal Brexit.

Should be time. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50155813