Electric fan - grenier tres chaud

MOH puts fan facing the wiindow ‘to extract hot air’
He says if facing me as I write my ouevre means it 'sucks hot air in. Discuss!

Well, if nothing else it will distribute the hot air more widely, bit like a fan oven :crazy_face:

Close the shutters…
You’re fighting a losing battle imo. The fan would have to be a considerable size to defeat the difference in air pressure between the outside and the inside.
Partially closing the shutters will help create a Venturi effect to expel the air. It’s how they are designed.

Presumably only close to 90% by leaving them “on the latch” to allow ventilation

2 Likes

Like this

To be replaced with what cooler air, from where?

I would do that plus follow the public service advice of a wet sheet in the window opening, possible hanging in doorways, if there is a temperature difference on different sides of the house then have windows or shutters partly open so as to create a draught etc…

In real hot I’ve experimented with wearing heavily dampened linen, bowl of ice in front of the fan etc… one day I will have solar-powered air conditioning

The damp sheet/towel method only works well when the humidity is low.

1 Like

Closing shutters and windows against excessive heat of the day and opening them at night, is one of the Santé tips for keeping the home bearable.

It’s working for us.

During this latest heatwave… 25c max indoors when we’ve had temps of 30c/40c outside.

Edit: This is an old stone house, might not work so well with a younger build.

1 Like

no reason not to, if the insulation values are correctly applied. I think it was @Corona that said in another topic - insulate, insulate and then insulate some more. Thermal values on new builds (in theory at least) are superior to old stone draughty houses. We have 200 in the roof, the exterior walls and the concrete raft floor (100 in internal walls) and we remain warm and toasty in winter and cool(ish) in summer with little effort.
We even have 100 in the garage concrete raft floor (separate building).

We learnt that architecturally, the design of the building is also important. In the Charente, there is no accident in the design of high window openings in relation to width and the amount of roof overhang. In the summer, with the sun high in the sky, less direct sunlight passes into the rooms but in the winter, with the sun lower in the sky, the sun penetrates the opening into the room more readily and aids the heating process. As @Stella correctly says, the use of shutters is an important component in maintaining this balance.

Fair comment, Graham…

I hope we can continue without the need for installing airconditioning, but who knows what the future climate will be like.

The previous owner of our old stone house installed four way air-pumps (heating, a/c dehumidifier, fan only)in every room, but we use wood for winter heating and have found the dehumidifer function seems to cool more effectively and less intrusively than the a/c.

My word, sounds an amazing set up…

Should the time ever come when we feel the need for anything like that, I’m sure OH will enjoy looking at all the possibilities.

Similar tech but usually a bigger evaporation plate to collect the humidity frim the air. Can be model specific as I have some small dehumidifiers that don’t do the job as well and 2 larger units that do in a clothing store room