Electricity Meter Replacement

I live in Charente Maritime and have just received a letter from RSP (?) saying that my electricity meter will be replaced in September. The letter heading has a side logo ‘Paertaire ENEDIS’ par Linky.

The letter says that they (RSP) are mandated by ENEDIS to install a new meter. I know who EDF is but who is ENEDIS?

My house has had the same meter for at least 25 years and seems to be functioning OK as far as I’m aware.

Anyone else had a letter like this? Is replacement obligatory?

Hi Bruce
https://particulier.edf.fr/en/home/meter-reading-and-consumption/linky.html

This page aims at presenting the smart meter Linky , soon to be installed at your home by Enedis(1) , an independently managed subsidiary responsible for the electricity distribution network.
Please see note 1 on the above link
https://particulier.edf.fr/fr/accueil/contrat-et-conso/compteur/compteur-linky.html

Hope this helps

Enedis is the old ERDF - the company responsible for the supply.

Meters are scheduled for replacement on a regular basis - just like water meters are. If they decide to replace it, it is their meter so you have no choice in the matter.

1 Like

Thank you Tracy, but do you know if this meter replacement is obligatory?

I see from Graham’s reply that is is obligatory. My meter hasn’t been replaced for at least 25 years.

Looks like a saving for the company by not sending people out to read meters. It seems like I would be reading my own meter and sending the reading myself over the internet?

No you will not. The meter will read itself and then transmit the information via it’s supply cabling, not your internet.

Thanks Geoff, I think I’ve reached that age where change is not welcome!

I found a subject heading - [EDF billing since Linky Smart Meter installation] - on Survive France - which suggests that since having a new smart meter, higher bills are being received even though usage hasn’t increased.

That is what is worrying me.

There is quite a bit of fuss over the linky meters - that they burst into flames, that they spy on you, that they cause your bills to go up. But much is anecdotal…and our newly supply old style meter melted and was on the point of burning the house down a couple of years ago. So nothing’s perfect.

However, even if your Marie has said that the commune doesn’t want them, they are obligatory. So maybe start reading your meter regularly so you can prove if the consumptions goes up.

The total irony is that we had the man come to change our meter to a linky last week, The meter he got out of the van looked identical to the one we already have. We asked him what the difference was, and turns out it’s mainly the ability to send meter readings automatically by wifi. “But we have no mobile network here” we said. He replied that they knew that and so we would still have people come to read the meter, but he was still obliged to fit it!

Hi Jane, you’ll see from Geoff’s reply above that the reading will be transmitted by the supply cabling. How that happens technically I know not.

Will have to wait and see what happens once the new meter is in, and carefully keep a record of the EDF records of past readings and bills and compare them, and complain loudly if the bills start rising for no apparent reason.

Edf have been sending information along their cables for ages, that was/is how EGP and Tempo work, it isn’t a big deal even if luddites are hopping up and down crying witchcraft!

2 Likes

I wasn’t concerned about our internet, that is well protected! And it never occurred to me anyway that people might think that. The enedis man told me that the information is transmitted directly from the meter by wifi, ie a mobile network, which we don’t have here. So I presume he knew what he was talking about, especially as I don’t see how complex data can be sent through an electricity supply cable (and yes they managed a simple approach with tempo but I think that was binary).

Quite right @vero
and electric cabling in your house can be used for many things such as baby alarms etc :wink:
We are on tarif creuse which automatically switches to the cheaper night rate (and back again next morning to plein) and this is controlled without our intervention by EDF and not by any clock mechanism in the house or meter cupboard. The same facility controls the street lights in our commune and the signalling controls for the rail network.
There’s more to electric cabling than meets the eye.

I think it is a form of multiplexing…but way over my head as to how that works!

Had ours for about 6 months. Replacement takes about 20 minutes, during which time you will be without electricity.
Not having to do your own meter readings to avoid inaccurate estimates is an advantage, but it is a concern that company meter readers wil no longer be required when there are already not enough jobs for young people.
Paying bills on line remains the same, though if you are trying it for the first time, you may find the EDF website confusing and intimidating. But it isn’t your fault, it is just badly designed and hardly worth bothering with just to save the price of a stamp!