Endowment policy declaration


(Sabine williams) #1

How do you declare a matured endowment policy. Do you declare the pay-out minus what you paid in?

(Patrick O'brien) #2

Usually these endowments have a minimal element of life insurance cover included (they often pay out 101% of the fund on death during the life of the policy). If yours is one (check the conditions document) , it can be declared under the favourable conditions of french life insurance . Provided you have held it over 8 years there is a tax-free allowance of 4600€ (single person) or 9200€ (couple) to set against the taxable gain (which ,as you say is the difference between premium(s) and the amount paid out). It is important to convert the £ amounts of the premium(s) and the payout to € based on the £/€ values on the day of the transactions. CSG at 17.5% is payable on the whole amount of gain, and you have achoice of paying income tax at your average rate , or if you think that would be more than 7.5% at a set rate of 7.5%.
It would be advisable to consult your tax office taking all relevant documents-especially the proof of life cover.
If there is no life cover you simply declare as capital gain and declare for tax with your other income, either at your average rate + CSG at 17.5% , or at a set rate (PFU) of 30% which includes CSG. Again , best to discuss with the tax office.

(Sabine williams) #3

Hi ,
Thanks very much for the clarification. Unfortunately our Tax Office is useless and very unhelpful.
It has run for 25 years and was a life insurance as such as well.