English speaking Doctor - suggestions please

We will be moving to live in Hautefort (near Excideuil), with quite elderly parents. My wife speaks excellent French, but the rest of us are catching up!
Don’t mind travel to see a Doctor, and know that it is really hard to find listings (for reasons researched already).
Any suggestions/recommendations please?
Thanks in advance.

Please remember that all medications that are already in use, can be sourced by your doctor/Pharmacie. They can find the names in all of the languages. It is quite surprising how easy it is to converse with a doctor, who may not have English as his/her second language. In my experience the doctor is more important than his/her linguisitic abilities.

Not all medicines used in one country can be sourced in another.

Excellent points - Mark and David.
David - will find out one way or the other. Anyway, will be bringing a list of medications and what they have been prescribed for (in English, and translated into French). That way, and as we trust the French medical professionals, we should all be covered.
Marc - sure it will all be fine. However, parents coming over with us are rather elderly and not at all confident in the upcoming scenario. At the best of times quite often need one of us with them, here in the UK, so in France - looking to an option that “smooths the transition”, especially for them.
Have considered Brieve as an option (although about 3/4 hr drive away). If a closer option available will be better. No local Doctor to where we will be living, as understand.
Anyone any other thoughts?

David, let me be as absolute as you are. In my experience, ALL, medicines that I have required have been been found in France, albeit with different names. Latin is a wonderful education.

Hi Ed. I believe that my answer to David, albeit in a more gentle mode, is relevant. As far as, “rather elderly” is concerned, I am not as young as I would wish to be :slight_smile: Do, try your local doctor first. As far as “elderly” people are concerned, someone local and easily accessible is important, IMHO

Marc, I lived in Germany for 26 years before moving to France and several of my colleagues there had quite serious problems adapting to the different medicines available there. In the UK the medicines ‘allowed’ are only a proportion of those available on the World market. It has nothing to do with Latin, it’s to do with marketing. Not every product us available in every market and I’ve never met a doctor who would just continue with a previously prescribed medication without a full check up, after which they are likely to recommend their own preferred course.

Hi Ed

One important point to think about…especially with aged parents… House-calls.

We found a super Dr, not the closest but we preferred him to the local ones and he had some English which was useful in the early days. He was pleased to accept us as he was building up his List, but he made it quite clear that House-calls would not be possible… due to the distance.

Our French has come on by leaps and bounds and we have helped him to brush-up his English… which he uses on the other patients we have sent his way…:wink:

1 Like

Why on earth would any doctor, from any country, prescribe any medication without a check-up? I have lived in France for 15 years and I have a carte vitale. I have reached an age where I see my French doctor, with reasonable regularity, she checks on me and gives me whatever may be necessary and only for as long as it is necessary. Her own preferred course is, more often than not, the same preferred course as that of a British doctor. They all learn medicine; and medical laws and practices do not change just because the language changes. Certain countries approve certain medications, which may or may not be approved in Britain; however, once the medication (any medication) has approval in any country, it is available there. Let’s not go round in circles about this, as I find your reply to be rather odd. By the way, I may be English but I was born in Berlin!

You have confirmed what I said, once a medicine is approved in a country it is available; as I said in my original post; not all medicines found in one country can be sourced in another. They may not be approved there. Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? The OP needs to find a doctor for their family, that doctor will then be responsible for prescribing suitable medicines as and when necessary. Your statement that all their current medication will be available in France is not true. That is a fact not a reason for an unnecessary argument. My answer odd? Try reading your own.

David, as has happened in the past, you seem to be spoiling for a fight. I would be most interested to read of a medicine that is available in the U.K. and not available in France, allowing for the fact that it may have a different name? France is rather good at supplying generic medicines, where possible; this can keep the cost down. Otherwise, do be a good chap and call it a day.

Fervex is banned in the UK but is sold in France.

Quite dangerous Fervex by all accounts.

There are some UK medicaments banned in France. I have been trying to think of one all morning. It is really bugging me. I think it is a children’s medicine.

There are medications which require a prescription and medications which can be bought over the counter.

Our pharmacist is very helpful if I am trying to replace a tube/packet of something from UK… he checks the ingredients and can usually find me something that closely resembles the original. Sometimes he will explain that a certain item in the UK “recipe” is not allowed in France. Never really noticed any difference in how the stuff works, so all is well. :grinning:

When we came over…our UK Doc sent a list of current medications and brief history of OH situation. Our French Doc read the whole thing, gave OH a very thorough check-up… and organised many highly-detailed tests. We were amazed at the speed with which these were completed. Finally, armed with all the results the Doc decided for himself what medication to prescribe…and he explained every aspect of the whys and wherefores re stopping certain stuff and changing others…

All in all… fabulous medical attention. Some years later, we met up with our UK Doc… he was surprised (and happy) to see OH was still alive and kicking… :heart_eyes:

Just saying…

1 Like

Thank you all.
This is creating lively debate - perhaps not all about the actual original question.
Stella - you make a great point about house calls. Potentially this could be an issue, especially as my Father-in-Law (now 92 years) will not be so mobile in years to come and even though we will be driving, some times he may need a house call.
No one yet been able to suggest a Doctor, so if no one knows will follow advice you have all so kindly proffered and arrange something not too far away. May well be that as we will be moving in first, we find that “our new Doctor” works out just fine.
Was worth asking the question. Especially as not lived in France before so all new to us (apart from all the research been doing, on just about everything).

Ed… we have Doris (96) living down the street with her daughter and son-in-law… they use our Doc (no house-calls) but have the arrangement that daughter can phone any time to discuss Doris’ health…(night-time is with whoever on call) and if in any doubt… the hospital is only a 30 mins dash away with 24hour emergency services.

I’m sure you will find things work out just fine…

Me? All I did was point out a fact. You are the one who insists on the last word.

1 Like

Thank you Stella, that is most helpful and reassuring.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Thanks Mark! A constructive comment and I am happy to admit that I didn’t know about it and I was wrong. However, do educate me some more: what is fervex, I’ve never heard of it? I do know that a lot of medicines are approved in the States before the U.K.

Fervex is an off the shelf flue type relief.

From what I understand it increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. A cardeologist who used to work in an A&E dept in France said they often had patients in with such conditions after taking it.