Étaples-sur-Mer is voted best market in France 2021

I’ve had the pleasure of eating at the restaurant above the fish market (and have posted about this place before). Marvellous!!

2 Likes

It looks wonderful… but a heck of a long way to go for a meal… :wink:

1 Like

Yes Stella… used to fly in to Le Touquet and either get a taxi there or use my folding bike to cycle round and over the bridge. The Fruits de Mer was incredible… fresh from the boats that morning :yum:

2 Likes

Now you’ve started something… OH is scanning Google Earth trying to find the little Restaurant we used to love visiting up there somewhere… when one could benefit from the the very cheap day-trip special offers… to leap across the channel.

Wonderful family-run place… and the first time I’d ever eaten oysters… and they were in a soup… fabulous.

was it in the town or over the estuary in Étaples?
I probably went to most of the restaurants in LTQ over time…

It was a bit further North I think… and, of course, we’re talking a long time ago…

Whatever, Étaples looks well worth a trundle, if we find ourselves with a good reason to be up in that area…

any further north and you’d be in la manche from Le Touquet! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I didn’t do geography at school… so my directions are always somewhat vague…

aha… so it was “smewhere over there”
Almost as good as Vanessa’s directions then… she points up the garden to a neighbours house where there is no house! :roll_eyes:
How did you get there? by boat, air, car?

We used the ferry/car and hovercraft/car.

Booked the earliest crossing over with the latest possible same-day return…
those were wonderful times, which sparked our firm decision to eventually get here permanently.

We did visit the war cemetery at Etaples :thinking:

1 Like

Hovercraft?! Cool.

Ha ha… actually that particular trip was anything but cool. I was stuck in a wheelchair and it was boiling hot. Staff were very kind and administered cold compresses to my neck, wrists etc … mopping me down as best they could.

Phew… what a relief when we landed in France and headed on down to our favourite day-trip restaurant…

This thread has re-awakened some lovely memories.

We had extra time before we got our ferry back after a holiday in Burgundy many moons ago.
We went to Honfleur and say a boat with two dachshunds wearing life jackets.
There was the usual assortment of fast food places round the harbour and we mooched around the bak streets and found a wonderful restaurant where we were the only non-French.

1 Like

We found the one which became our “favourite” quite by chance… down a back street, so ignored by tourists, but used by all the locals.

Went back there so often, we were made to feel like one of the family.

I miss the North of France, I have eaten in the restaurant at Etaoles many years ago.

1 Like