EU associate citizenship

Where is one’s pip? Very little gets on my pip, but perhaps that’s because I don’t know where or what it is? :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s because I was self moderating for once and not using my normal expression !

1 Like

Getting your P’s and T’s muddled Cat :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Catherine – what ? – ‘supress’ young Graham ? No, don’t ‘gaslight’ people – be like losing a friend !! Just surprised at the tone of the outburst – this isn’t the Groaniad after all.

OK – just disappointed at the language, nothing more; G’s entitled to his views.

So I guess you could say, it kinda went “tits up” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

was going to reply - but couldn’t be arsed :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Graham,
If it makes you feel any better, you are in good company! :wink:

search terms

3 Likes

@Anglozone’s “search term” collection…:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve still got to finish decorating our Christmas tree, and I’m think a garland made up of all those assorted ‘fucks’ might give my jaded creativity and our dining room a seasonal, but fresh and novel boost.

I think I should place a “fucknugget” as the crowning glory to replace the Christmas Fairy, and scatter glittering “fuckwits” around the spreading branches below.

What do people think? Help a lonely old man to spice up his solitary season of so-fooking-called festive-fooking-fun. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

but it could be Göebbellion…

2 Likes

What goes around comes around, very familiar to the election campaign, nothing changes.

1 Like

Isn’t telling Graham to moderate his language taking away his freedom of speech though?

2 Likes

Well Guy is looking out for us…:heart:

4 Likes

I would have agreed with you, Catherine, till l saw an acquaintance [who, though articulate and intelligent, through childhood illness had received virtually no education] slaughtered by a grammar nazi. Since then, l have tried to control myself, unless l know that the perpetrator of poor spelling/punctuation should know better. It’s not clever to slag off someone who has had few or poor educational opportunities.

1 Like

Watching that sequence, I noted that there wasn’t a huge amount of applause - whether because there was poor representation that day in EUParl or whether the majority of MEPs don’t care or are openly hostile to Verhofstadt’s suggestion is…undetermined.

Anne, agree entirely.

Langage such as this discourages people from engaging in the discussion. It is offensive to many (in most Anglo-Saxon languages) even if the French use it without any consideration of what it means or the strength of the slang.

I might be considered a dinosaur or an “old fart” but if the values, respect and language of a former time was the norm today there would perhaps be more reasonable debates on the important issues.

Tony Benn, Margaret Thatcher did not need to resort to such abusive and vile language to make their point in the 1975 referendum debate.

1 Like

Jeremy Corbyn displayed a similar sense of national pride (not) and the electorate let him know in massive terms what they thought of it.

I though Malta was cheaper (a mere €896,000) if you are a rich c**t who wants to adopt the “one rule for the wealthy, another for the plebs” mantra.

As ever a late arrival to this subject, but as ‘word origins’ is something that fascinates me may I quote ;

Fuck In written form it goes no fu (i.e.rther back than the 16th Century

i.e; Not Old English;However there is a recorded name of John The Fucker in 1278.(Job? Hobby? Career? - my brackets) Although it seems to be of Germanic origin, the earliest known usage of the word comes from Scotland (there’s a thought? - again my brackets) but there are suggestions that it really orginated in Scandinavia where Norwegian dialect uses ‘Fukka’ refering to ‘copulate’, or Sweden where ‘focka’ means 'copulate or hit, and ‘fock’ means ‘penis’.

Cnt is a much more fun. Around 1230 in Oxford there was a ‘Gropecuntlane’, and a similar one in Cheapside London, and York also had one as 'Grapcunt Lane in the 15th Century.
C
nt has a number of origins in Old Norse ‘kunta’, Middle Dutch ‘kunte’, and maybe Middle High German ‘kotze’ meaning ‘prostitute’. There is also a prehistoric(?) reference refering to female genitals as ‘kunton’

Now don’t say you never learn anything on Survive France :crazy_face:

*NB I couldn’t spell out the word, which s interesting in itself, but there you go?

1 Like

Yes looking at it it is a bit of a mess but I really don’t have the inclination to go through corrections. Sorry about that.