Euro pet passport

Wow, it has gone up in price since I last had to do that :slight_smile:

It will save any hassle, so I’m not really bothered about the cost as we go backwards and forwards quite a bit in the year.

Apologies if I have missed something, but is the reason for the antibodies test hurry to make sure that you can travel in January? If you were say to travel in April could you get the test done later?

Reading all of this, and looking at the UK rules, it seems (to me that is🤔) that if we have an existing EU passport for our dog, chip, vaccinations all ok, then nothing has changed regarding taking the dog into the UK, and then returning to France a few days later. Obviously not this year but we will have to go back for a few days sometime…

You will have leave 4-5 weeks before you travel to get antibody test done, but if your pet does not have the required levels in the sample, you will need to get a booster and then wait till you can get the results back again before traveling with your pet.
You will need the rabies antibody titer test done for after January, if you have already had it done and the results entered in your pet passport you are good to go.
I am getting it done with plenty of time to spare as we hope to be going back at the beginning of February.
All this is dependant on what they negotiate between now and the 31st January :laughing:

1 Like

We changed our Dog’s pet passport to a french one without any concerns being raised by the Vet, once I had referred to Brexit.
However it was about the time when her rabies jab was due to be renewed anyway (slightly early, but not significantly early…). The French vet was much more comfortable with starting the new Pet Passport with a rabies injection that they had undertaken personally.
It was the usual approx 30 euro consultation, plus a small charge for the Pet Passport itself.
The Vet also advised us to register the dog in France as well… with I-CAD…

1 Like

Did you get a blood titer test done as well, as this is the bit that is going to trip people up.
Pets will not be allowed in or out without ithe result on the passport.

Yes we did also get the titration test done. It was a bad experience for our dog, with a needle in her neck, which distressed her! She does not like Vet practices (smells) and tries to run away when taken in.
They then put the results into a centrifuge in the vets practice while we waited, then came back and said they had not extracted enough on the first attempt… by that time our dog was very fearful, and it made it very difficult to keep her still enough for the second amount. As a result we are seriously thinking of leaving our dog with neighbours in France rather than requiring her to go through it all again, should that be necessary.

@JoCo John whereabouts in France are you? Just that I know a very good vet if you need another choice who works from home, so much less of the practice smell and also is hugely empathetic, to owners and dogs.
I had a dog who was terrified of injections and treated badly by a vet who thought I was “making a fuss”. I’ve never been back to them. Taking blood from the back of the neck is unusual - injections yes, but blood usually needs to be drawn from a front leg (shaved) so yes, not easy for a frightened dog.
If you are happy with your vet apart from this one scenario, have you talked to them about using Adaptil? Collar, spray around the dog when on the table, even an express tablet 2 hours beforehand if that doesn’t mess up the blood readings.
If I have to go to any other vet, I also never bring our dog into the waiting room. She and I stay outside and they call us in and she then goes straight into the consulting room.
She also is food orientated, so I always have biscuits in my pocket for the vet to give her - which helps her forget the pain.

Thank you Sue for the advice and suggestions. We are in the Jura near Champagnole. We had had no problems with these vets before, but our neighbours say the vets in another nearby small town are more popular for those with pets.

1 Like

Until the EU decides which level of 3rd country the UK will be after 01-01-21, there is no clear answer. At the moment vets are interpreting things in their own way. Add to that the fact that nobody has checked dogs on their way into France in the past and you cannot rely on any advice you receive until the EU’s decision is made. Meanwhile, we had our dog’s rabies booster while locked in the UK during a visit which was extended, followed by a rabies blood test for which we hold the certificate. We had previously had her microchip registered in France (French Vet has to do this) but this was more to ensure that it could be read and followed up in France if she disappeared and was found without her collar and tags. We do know that her UK-issued Pet Passport will be valid when returning to the UK. A French Vet can’t enter any info in a new French passport without having done the work himself (we are advised) so cannot copy details of the dog’s rabies test and it would have to be repeated. She is nearly 11 years old, and already on her 3rd Pet Passport, so we have decided that when visiting England we will obtain an Animal Health Cert from the UK vet and this, with her Rabies cert will enable entry into France. French vet is confident the UK, as one of the very few rabies-free countries, should be classed so high that UK-issued passports will be recognised, but I don’t share his confidence: common sense seems missing from the process so far. However, there seems little advantage to changing to a French passport as a UK-issued Health Cert will suffice. Nobody has any idea when the EU will make its decision, so others might like to do as we are doing pending clearer guidance. Eurotunnel still don’t know, and are referring to DEFRA guidance which is very much a “what if”. They don’t seem to be building a Pet Centre in the UK, either, nor planning to start checking dogs leaving the UK. As with most things Brexit, such as Titres de Sejour and Driving Licences, we have opted to wait for the law to be clear before wasting France’s time or ours.

1 Like

Lovely part of the world. Sadly too far - she’s on the east side of Lot-et-Garonne.

Might be worth considering the other vets. A good rapport between vet and animal makes such a difference.
Another thing to consider is doing T-touching on your dog and see if that settles them. Google it. They use it in places like Battersea Dogs Home to help settle anxious dogs and I had someone do a session on our highly strung rescue Airedale who had been badly treated by (we think) a man - it was lovely to see him settle and snuggle next to the guy doing the therapy.

“French Vet can’t enter any info in a new French passport without having done the work himself (we are advised) so cannot copy details of the dog’s rabies test and it would have to be repeated.”

I showed our vet this and his answer was “Drivel” or words to that effect :yum:, as far as he is concerned and he phoned and checked yesterday, as long as the blood sample comes back ok he is to copy everything over to the new passport and issue it.
If we/he wants to have peace of mind he can administer a booster to be sure, there is no problem as far as he is concerned and has our new passport ready for when the test results come back, as I said already no consistency.
This will be Dolly’s 3rd passport as she is from Poland originally.

Well Dolly became a dual passport doggy this morning, blood test results were fine so she now has a French Euro passport as well as her UK one, results were entered in both passports + two boosters and she was on her way, so that’s us sorted :sunglasses:


We felt we were lucky to get our 3 cats through the tunnel just before NYE with all the restrictions. I’d appreciate tips on “going backwards and forwards a few times” in the coming year!

The old EU pet passports are no longer valid. Instead the EU has agreed that Great Britain should be given “part two listed” status, allowing pets to travel within its borders providing the owners obtain an animal health certificate (AHC). This confirms that your pet is microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. You will need to get a new certificate each time you travel up to 10 days prior to travel. The AHC will be valid for four months.
Going to the UK is the same as before, wormed and checked by the vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter the UK.

I’m in the same situation with my 3 dogs. I’m in the process of getting my residency and are obviously registered with a vet in France. I’m going to get my dogs passports changed to EU ones which will mean that I won’t need to get an AHC in the UK. Technically I will be traveling in reverse - France to UK and UK to France, so will just need to do the worming bit as before in France.

So, as I understand it, if the dog originates in france and has an EU passport, then nothing at all has changed (rabies jabs up to date and vet visit and worm treatment before travelling).

Yes, obviously you will have to go through pet passport (I use Eurotunnel) on both sides now, instead of just the French side.

I registered my dog’s chip with the Ministère de l’Agriculture et de l’Alimentation. I then queried with the department as to whether I needed to change the passport and this is the response I had.
" Bonjour,
Les animaux introduits en France avant le Brexit n’ont pas besoin de changer de puce ni de refaire leur passeport.
D Allain

Mme Dominique Allain
Service d’inspection vétérinaire et phytosanitaire aux frontières Service de la coordination des actions sanitaires Sous direction des affaires sanitaires européennes et internationales (SDASEI) Direction générale de l’alimentation (DGAL)
251 rue de Vaugirard - 75732 PARIS CEDEX 15"

English translation is : Animals brought into France before Brexit do not need to change chip or re-issue their passport.

Hope this helps.