EV - buy or wait?

This is a good article on solar-assisted cars - good to see it at least referencing the true environmentalist argument that the most important thing is to stop owning cars completely, and use public transport or pool cars.
But the ambition of the solar-powered car manufacturers is impressive in its way:

It is aiming to sell for about €30,000 as early as 2025.

With Mercedes new battery tech being one option,
Gac in China has an alternative graphene technology.

1 Like

Well, today I am ordering an S3 with infernal combustion engine.

Drivers away from EV have been

• Price
  • Concerns re state of UK charging network
  • Amount of electricity NOT generated from renewables in the UK
  • excess CO2 released due to battery manufacture.
1 Like

Price wise, I am also looking to replace my aging Qashqai. All vehicles are much more expensive and higher end EV’s £10k more than similar ICE?

Very little charging network usage as most would be home charging.

Roughly 45% from renewables 18% nuclear 12% imported.

CO2 could be very variable as we discussed depending on where electricity is produced and its not just CO2.

Now all that said… My next will have to also be ICE as what I want doesnt exist yet and those that do have a range of only 145 miles.

Looked hard at Skoda Enyaq 80kw £45k
Considered the MG5 estate EV.

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t see that coming :scream::rofl:

2 Likes

Renewables were 39.3% in 2021 - though with the impact of Covid I’m not sure you can make many long term predictions based on 20/21 figures.

We’ve obviously discussed EV vs not at length, all of the points you raise are valid and none, in isolation, enough to justify not buying an EV - but taken together the decision has definitely swung towards a petrol powered vehicle.

Come to the Diesel Side, we have biscuits! :smiley:

4 Likes

I am going to visit the MG dealers first :grinning: they have biscuits too :wink:

2 Likes

MGs are still a thing? I thought BL putting that badge on Montegos and other trash cars killed the MG name.

Interesting article about a Tesla going up in flames 3 weeks after an accident.

I’m curious. You’ve been quite a ‘forceful’ advocate of EVs, and yet don’t plan to own one - care to share why?

Nah its owned by the Chinese now but the quality… Its cheap but the only estate ev.

Chinese. They own the brand now.

Because they dont yet have one I would like, the 145 book miles (125 actual) that is too far short of a long journey time, the kia e niro is my favorite but now too small with the pets travelling to.
So another stop gap vehicle required. That said even those have increased dramatically in price. With the ULEZ zone almost certain to increase next year to the m25 region and probably others something has to be done.

I think our generation remember purchasing houses for about the same as a new car!

1 Like

My house in Cussy was less than some of the cars discussed in this thread last week. I can’t imagine spending £50K on a car, let alone the prices being asked for some EVs.

1 Like

On a similar vein, using google maps to asses the jorney, it flagged up that Rouen is a low emission area. Crit Air sticker?

There are certainly EVs under £50k, even with > 200 miles range (on paper, anyway). The aforementioned MG5, or Nisan Leaf, Enyaq, Cupra Born, Kia Soul, Kia Niro, ID.3, Polestar 2 plus a few others.

However, as I want a car with a bit of performance before I’m too old to enjoy it I wanted something with a sub 5 second 0-100kph time and the price of entry into *that* club is over £50k. OK the Polestar 2 long range dual motor can do it in base specification for £47,900 but you really need to add all the packs to make that car interesting and if you do it becomes a £60k car.

Besides the Polestar is available in colors ranging from drab to drabber.

Not a fan of brilliant white?
You left your mate Tesla :joy: plenty of sub 5 seconds.

Not especially, no.

I went with “Python Yellow” for the Audi :slight_smile:

You are definitely confusing be with someone else there :rofl:

2 Likes

Same here. Just not available at the price point I want. I’m hoping to get another 4 years out of my current ICE car and hopefully then I’ll be able to get something that suits.
I’m really interested in integrating the car battery into my home electrical system and adding another 3Kw of solar panels. With that, I may be able to cut my grid electricity use to almost zero and be able to charge the car for the relatively small local journeys I make. Then, It’s just the occasional longer holiday journeys that I’ll need to charge away from home. I have to so some simulations on that using the last 3 years of consumption and generation data that I have.
Edit: These people have a charger that can integrate into your home electrical aystem

Ugly, ugly car though, and the solar panels are I think a pretty useless gimmick given the limited extra range.

1 Like

Now looks almost certain the EU will end sales of new fossil fuel cars by 2035. But this will of course have many retro-effects - eg. no new models except electric pretty much from now on.