Execution of mentally ill woman in USA

Presumably he is an anti-vaxxer as well.

I do not believe that medical science and genetic research have made the world a better place.
I am ambivalent in how far society should go in negating the process of natural selection.
I think death has become too much of a taboo. People are becoming more obsessed with avoiding death, than living life to the full while they are alive.
I will not engage any further. My views on this are my own. I do not expect or wish to convince anybody else of them but I hope my freedom of thought will be respected in accordance with French law. in the spirit of the forum. I shared them in case any of you wished to discuss them amongst yourselves.

2 Likes

This is exactly the type of comment I half expected. Shame on you.
In fact no, I have an appointment next week.

My reply was an honest interpretation of your own words.

1 Like

In that case you have not understood any of my words.
I see the bigger picture as more important than its individual parts. The future of the planet as more important that the future of the human species, society as more important than individuals.
My reason for being vaccinated is not so that I will live longer, but so that I will not take up space in a hospital bed and/or infect other people who are more valuable than I am.

3 Likes

Why the agression or negativity Geoffrey, I asked a civil question out of curiosity.
It’s an important subject for our family as we have to live with the consequences of an hereditary disease. Huntington’s is a horrible disease to be lumbered with. Our family has been involved in testing procedures since the 1980 s leading to the discovery of the offending chromosome. Initially the researchers said that finding the chromosome/ gene was like looking for a matchbox in a room n a house etc somewhere in the Greater London area. Every house being searched one by one until it is found. Current research is about finding a cure .
Having seen how this disease shows no mercy on the sufferer I’m afraid I respectfully have to disagree with your opinions.

4 Likes

Can you not agree that she was damaged? Did you read the Guardian piece? Are mentally ill people in general poor examples of human beings?
As for medical science - people used to die from infections that nowadays can be treated with a week’s supply of an antibiotic.

3 Likes

I am sorry Peter, I thought I had answered your question civilly.

I admit I reacted badly to the comment

perhaps you can see why.

I sympathise with your situation, and others like you. As I said I have very contradictory feelings and more questions than answers.

The reason I say what I say is becauise I think that if the vast resources of science had been invested differently, we might be able to bequeath a better world to the next generation. I am sorry if this sounds unfeeling towards your predicament. Despite what you all now think I am not an unfeeling person. I have spent my life trying to help people overcome their problems. My heart goes out to you. I truly wish the world was a better place with no suffering in it.

1 Like

I can, I did, and I think that the only examples of poor human beings are those that deliberately make themselves as they are. But I don’t believe we should kill them for it.

This woman had a horrendous upbringing, it may have caused the crime that she has been found guilty of but to my mind that has no relevance at all to the question of whether she should be killed or not.

People shouldn’t kill people except in the extremes of self survival, full stop. The reason anyone does anything is important to understand why, but should have no relevance on the retribution other than total incarceration for the protection of others.

I follow my principles into the whole of my life, I kill nothing that does not directly threaten me or mine. Ticks, fleas and intestinal worms are fair targets for destruction but even flies, who indirectly threaten us through disease are ushered from the house and only whacked if all else fails.

2 Likes

Believing that quality of life is more important than quantity of life, I find it strange that people’s consciences are so easy with taking away a person’s liberty, as if they are doing a kindness by allowing them to live a tormented life (I believe the lady was on more or less permanent suicide watch). To me that would be hypocritical.

1 Like

For someone who isn’t engaging further you’re giving it some welly

2 Likes

Not at all, I believe in the twin aims of retribution and protection, but I do not believe in the taking of human life except for the urgent protection of it.

What you are saying, it seems to me, is that you think that you are doing her a kindness by killing her. I wonder what her view of that is, if she was mentally able to understand, presumably she authorised the efforts to keep her alive.

Research into such hereditary diseases is the norm nowadays albeit with low funding but a lot of more common problems like coronary disease , some cancers and diabetes etc etc can be heriditary . These diseases affect millions so should such research continue in order to improve the quality of life of many of us ?
Should Covid research actually take place Geoffrey or should we allow that and any other viruses just be allowed to take their course ?

Christopher you know nothing at all about me or my life. I consider your comment arrogant in the extreme. Attack the views by all meanhs. Do not consider yourself infinitely superior to a person you know nothing about.
I thought this was possibly a forum where people were able to discuss things without resorting to personal insults.
I wish I knew how to stop notifications about this damn thread arriving in my email, if I was not a big picture wallah totally devoid of human feeling I might find it distressing.

1 Like

I never receive anything in my email from SF :thinking: Did you opt for this option?

Despite its fairly obvious heavy irony, the above strikes a chilling note. It suggests being capable of distancing oneself from the very calculated and intimate work of walking a women to her personal and precisely scheduled death in a gas chamber or electric chair, and watching her state-sponsored extinction.

You might have the global nerve to do it. Most others would not choose the course of waking her in the morning to kill her in cold blood before you had your lunch. That’s an alternative “bigger picture” of the act.

3 Likes

Why the attack on Geoffrey ?

Can’t we keep it friendly ?

It was never going to be a happy topic under discussion. :thinking::cry:

3 Likes

I think you’ve caught a touch of the eugenics there Geoffrey.

2 Likes

Be careful, you might be next on the list to be culled :face_with_hand_over_mouth: