Exemptions for handicap access

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know which buildings, if any, have exemption from handicap access laws? We live in a bastide town which I assume is an historic monument of some kind. We would like to open a shop which is situated on top of some ramparts, currently inaccessible to wheelchairs etc. We have been in discussions with the Mayor, but even he doesn’t seem sure whether it is exempt. Anyone know better?

I would try an d find an architect that deals with ancient monuments.

There are a lot of places that don’t and cannot have access for handicapped.

My mother is in a wheelchair and we accept that where national monuments are concerned it’s impossible in a lot of places to create access without totally spoiling an historic site.

I can’t see how you could create an access or have ramps for your shop if its in such an elevated position. There is the safety to think about too, wooden ramps become very slippery in wet weather, concrete ones just look ghastly.

Edited to give you this site that is in English …

Has someone told you that you need access if you want to open a shop ?

Our Commune has asked for and received “exemption” for a public building… so I know it can happen.

If your Maire does not know the answer… he/his staff should know who to ask…

Is the issue modifying your shop for access or access t  your shop across areas that you do not own/have control over.

Or both?

Thanks all for your comments and help. It may be all academic c now as we’ve learned that someone else is interested in the space and is a ‘friend’ of the Mayor, so will probably take it. Politics eh? :slightly_frowning_face:

David… why should it make a difference???

If the property on the open market… in which case, it will be first come first served…

If it is being offered privately, then friendships can and do come into play…

If you are really suspicious of the integrity of your Maire… you can always ask at another Mairie… for advice from them… and/or contact details for other info…

Well just in case things change again as they often do.

You can get an exemption for historic building (and for other things too). I think your first port of call would be to contact the departmental UDAP (unite departmentale d’architecture et patrimoine).

Des dérogations à l’accessibilité des lieux sont prévues dans les cas suivants :

impossibilité technique ;
contraintes liées à la conservation du patrimoine ;
disproportion manifeste entre les améliorations apportées par la mise en accessibilité et leurs coûts, leurs effets sur l’usage du bâtiment et de ses abords (ou la viabilité de l’exploitation de l’établissement).

Thank you both. Stella, it’s not on sale, it’s owned by the commune and they rent it out as and when they see fit, that’s the problem. All we can do, I think, is put forward a better case for,our project than the other person. We’ll see. Always optimistic, me :blush:

1 Like

Aha… if it is Commune property… there should be someone at the Mairie who does know about H Access… but quite possibly NOT the Maire… although he/she is the one in Authority, he.she is not necessarily an authority on a given subject.

Communes do need to rent out property, especially with the prospect of losing subsidies… (?)… so put a good project together and give it your best shot.

(if HAccess is not available already, in actually getting to the property… presumably along Council-owned streets/paths… I cannot see how anyone ie Council … could be forced to put in HA for the property… as it would be for the Council to do that…not you. )

Hello again Stella. Yes, we aren’t going away without a fight! We assumed it would be down to the commune to sort out, not us, but we wanted to be sure about exemptions. As you say, I don’t think it’s our problem anyway. Will let you know if we’re successful.

1 Like

Well, we weren’t successful. Handicap access wasn’t a problem in the end, but being a shortsighted Frenchman obviously was. Our mayor has soiled himself imagining drunkards hurling themselves off the ramparts and come up with the excuse that he has used up all of his bar licenses already. As far as I understand this (and I could be very wrong), but there’s a limit to the number of licence four permits that he can give out per head of population but not of type three. Someone can correct me if that’s not right. I’m off to drown my sorrows in litres of my own beer :slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

What rotten luck… I’ll ask about Licence IV availability… I know our village guards ours jealously, can’t let it lapse or we will be sunk… :roll_eyes:

That’s very kind Stella, thank you