Expansion gaps in concrete

I will shortly be pouring a concrete slab of 4.50 by 8.25 meters and intend to split it up with the use of expansion joints. I'm hoping to get away with sections of 1.80 x 4.50. The slab will be reinforced and 10cm thick and max strength dosage

Will that be fine or am I pushing my luck with the length? I could half that and do 1.80 x 2.25m but seems a bit tiddly. The reason for the 1.80 width is that I like to use an aluminium screed baton across the top of the joint for a super flat finish and that the width I can comfortably handle.

Thanks

James

First panel poured this morning, used a sponge glued to plastic board instead of a taloche/float to finish it. Worked much better, was certainly easier anyway.

Installed the expansion joints yesterday![](upload://qntgtjnh9OsSeeGcgNAQuNkiVYH.jpg)

James, Should be OK in two. Here is the extract from the DTU:

5.6.6 Espacement entre joints
Les joints de dallages non armés sont disposés de manière à délimiter des panneaux dont la dimension du plus grand côté est au plus égal à :

5 m ± 10 % pour les dallages soumis aux intempéries ;

6 m ± 10 % pour les dallages sous abri.

L'interposition d'une couche de glissement en sable de 20 mm d'épaisseur, ou toute solution équivalente (selon le paragraphe 5.3.2), autorise une majoration de 35% des valeurs ci-dessus stipulées ; dans le cas d'une solidarisation sur 1 côté de panneau, les valeurs précédentes sont à diviser par 2.

Le rapport des côtés des panneaux doit être compris entre 1 et 1,5, sauf en périphérie de l'ouvrage où cette condition peut ne pas être toujours satisfaite.

Les joints sciés ne sont pas nécessaires pour les dallages armés.

Each case is obviously different and note this spacing is essentially for non-armé

We did a slab 15 x 9 and split into 3ish x 5m and all still fine after 4 years........basic rule of thumb we go by is 15m² max before expansion joints required.

You'll be fine with that James, we've done slabs 11x5 before now and they are ok, they were all prepared and calculated by engineers so you should be ok.

Martin.