Eymet's traffic lights - annoying unnecessary red light on main road

Just ask for a rdv with the Maire.

1 Like

This a.m. I’ve had an email reply, giving me a name at the Mairie at Eymet. The email came from UNITE D’AMENAGEMENT DE BERGERAC
Direction des Routes et du Patrimoine Paysager
Pôle Territoires

which translates on Deepl.com to:

SHEPHERD’S OUTFITTING UNIT
Roads and Landscape Heritage Department
Territories Division

Can someone better that?

1 Like

I am assuming this is a joke - the translation is er, interesting, shepherd’s outfitting unit indeed.

Bergerac development unit
Roads and landscape department
Regional (sub)unit

Veronique … thanks for the translation.

I use deepl.com as my translator and have been told lots of times by french friends that it’s translating is good. But this is what it came up with this time.

Sadly, I have just tried deepl.com with a few phrases … and it has come up with rubbish…

Each person has their own preferences, so if you like it, fair enough.

1 Like

We had some friends over and were discussing translation apps - one was playing with the (Google I think) one which merges OCR and translation so you can point the phone’s camera at a sign or label and have it translated.

It’s suggestion for “moutard a l’ancienne” was “old mustard” - yum :slight_smile:

Do you speak French and do they speak English? It is easy enough to come up with a coherent sentence in the other language using a translation engine, the problem is making sure it actually says what you want it to. In a way it helps if it is obvious rubbish because that way people realise…
I had a lazy so and so write some nonsense about ‘stains’ where he meant ‘tasks’ last week, because his spelling in French is rubbish and he just used a translating app instead of making an effort.
Tache = stain, tâche = task.

I’m sorry I mentioned I use a translator. Yes, I do speak French well (especially pronounciation) but for technical words and phases the words are often not in my head.

I hope this thread can revert to the original topic…I will report back when I have seen the person in the Mairie.

1 Like

You are allowed, you are presumably an old person :grin:. The lazy so and so was a French teenager! He is supposed to be working on his English for the Bac.

I know it’s been a few weeks, but I have now (4/12) spoken face-to-face with the man at Eymet Mairie who is responsible for traffic light management. He appreciated the problem after I went through what is happening at the lights, so hopefully something can be changed.

1 Like

You do know, perhaps, that you can easily edit your post to remedy minor (or indeed galumphing) typos, by clicking on the little pencil icon at the bottom of your post? :hugs: