Fascinating series of videos about Concorde

I really enjoy watching Captain Joe videos, here’s a very interesting 3 part series on Concorde

2 Likes

Thanks J’ Madams Dad worked on the electronics :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Fabulous - I was lucky enough to fly on her - still can’t believe she’s (they’ve) gone :cry::cry::cry:

2 Likes

One of my ‘few’ regrets Simon, when I worked in Saudi, I could have paid a subsidy, and flown on Her from Bahrain to UK :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Worth every penny Bill (staff tickets!!) - just to see the curvature of the Earth, feel the friction heat from the windows and arrive before you’d left. Magical, totally magical…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of lifes blunders, I haven’t made many, but that was one :neutral_face:

1 Like

Bill - I feel the same way about never seeing Queen live!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Great video Simon! Sending You a picture of our Concorde, we bought in a Brocante, chrome on Bronze, haggled the chap down to 140€, never saw the real one, but sailing alone across the Atlantic, first time I heard the double boom, nearly had a heart attack, after I realised what it was, FABULOUS :grinning:

1 Like

P1010097

1 Like

OK Bill - as you’ve shown me yours I’ll shown you mine - chrome only I’m afraid, purchased at AeroscopiaToulouse- well worth a visit!!

IMG_20180407_075939

1 Like

I have only been in this “pre-production model” on one of the occasions we visited the Duxford War Museum… I’d like to be there now and see its nose droop !

Used to love seeing these marvellous planes pass overhead… about the only one I could recognize on sight…:relaxed:

3 Likes

I went in that one too Stella, amazed how tight it was inside. We used to live in South East London so saw it every day, heard it before it was seen, amazing sight. It was probably responsible for a ding or two on the M25 when it took off from LHR on full afterburners​:grin::grin:.

At Duxford, there was a US B52 bomber parked up when I was there, cordoned off and having some work done on it - I asked very nicely and was allowed to sit in the pilots seat - yay :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

Duxford was a favourite place to visit… a great day out… so much to see and almost too much to take in. Whilst it was fascinating, seeing the numerous exhibits etc etc… none of us, adults and kids alike, were left in any doubt of the horrors of conflict.

Before we moved to France I asked if they would like some drawings/sketches that one of my family had done in the trenches during WW1.

They were pleased to receive these odd scraps of card and paper… and promised to keep them safe… I have no idea if these have been on show, but they are there…in the right place… and that is enough for me.

Enjoyed that, again James, seen it before, but many thanks for reminding me to give it another ‘looking at’ :slightly_smiling_face:

I was sitting on an overnight Air France Newark to Paris flight in 1998 and the crew came through the business class cabin and asked if anybody would like to fly Concord. I’d an early meeting in Paris the following day so initially declined. The passenger sitting next to me told me that the Newark flight was generally overbooked and that she’d availed of the offer a couple of times and I was mad not to try it. Some years before I’d turned down the opportunity to drive across the States due to some silly business reason and on reflection I’d promised myself not to make similar mistakes, so I took the offer.

They took myself and another passenger off the 747 and drove us to a hotel near JFK where we had a relaxed dinner and booked in for the night. Early the following morning we were picked up and driven to JFK and put on the Concord morning flight. I arrived in CDG only a few hours later than the Newark flight and called the office to explain I’d be late for the meeting only to be told the guy I was to meet was out ill.

So carpe diem has been my motto ever since.

4 Likes

Hi
I found this site by accident As a young man studying at the end of Filton airfield I saw the maiden flight of the British prototype Concord 002. half way down the run way what a sight my father had worked on the Rolls-Royce Olympus engines for many years

2 Likes

Wifes Dad worked on the project in France. When I sailed solo over the Atlantic, it nearly gave me a heart attack, first time I heard the double boom, what the ? was that :open_mouth:

I think you were lucky just the once, in the the north of Bristol many nights were shattered when they ground tested the engines at Filton let alone the noise a Vulcan bomber using prototype concorde engines as a test bed made all day

1 Like

Hello Grumpy… and welcome to our forum. We are a friendly crowd and it sounds like you have much in common with our folk…

But… as I find it hard to believe that your first name really is Grumpy…(?) could you please amend your Registration to give us your correct First and Last Name (as per T&C)

If you are unsure how to do that, simply put your First and Last Name on this thread and I will amend your Page…

Cheers…:relaxed:

1 Like