Fatush Lala

Surprised nobody’s flagged this up, or did I miss it?

Home Office thinks he gave incorrect information on his naturalisation application.
Home Office never makes mistakes, of course.
Oh wait … Home Office made a mistake in his address, so he never got the letter telling him his passport was being revoked.
Beyond appalling.

2 Likes

There is more to this than we know. If he is actually Albanian then he obtained a UK passport fraudulently and took the risk that the authorities may find out and revoke his status at some point.

Of course that’s possible.
But this isn’t the way to treat a fellow human being.
If the HO failed to pick this up 20 years ago, and consequently he’s lived here and built his life here, it’s brutal to suddenly stop the man returning to his home to collect possessions, make arrangements with his family etc.

1 Like

Thing is even if he was allowed to return to the UK he’d immediately be put into a detention centre and have to seek asylum which could take months or even years.

@tim17

A knee jerk Home Office reaction, worthy of Adolf Eichmann if it were to be done like that.

But if that’s what the British People voted for “to keep us safe and secure” then zero tolerance is justifiable, and snowflakes who disagree should keep their traps shut or expect a dose of the same, presumably.

1 Like

You could also ask why isn’t Belgium giving him any assistance.

No idea but whatever he is, he is not a Belgian citizen and, as neither Serbia nor Albania are EU member states he is not an EU citizen either.

Apparently our lovely Home Office suggested he contact an organisation for refugees - but he doesn’t fit their criteria either.

It really does show the sort of nation that we have become.

Along similar, if anything more worrying, lines there is a private members bill presented by Christopher Cope (he of blocking upskirting legislation fame,I believe).

This is

I.e you can have “Human Rights” but only if we think you are a decent and propper sort.

I wonder what colour the armbands will be when undesirable, but hard to identify by appearance alone, groups (like Remainers, perhaps) are forced to wear them. Yellow seems a nice colour.

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2019-20/humanrightsandresponsibilities.html

Oh, and the cabinet reshuffle today is a complete affront to what is left of democracy under this Tory government

3 Likes

I think it would be more relevant to ask, Why should they?

Seriously? The guy has been in the country for three weeks and the authorities would have been aware of the problem immediately so could have contacted the Home office. There is way more to this than we know but I guess it’s just so easy to bash the UK so why not pile in.

1 Like

It’s not really diplomatically acceptable for one country to criticise or interfere in another country’s home affairs policies though, is it.

1 Like

Because he is British, as far as they are concerned.

Chope is a prize shit, see below as well.

" During the expenses scandal of 2009, it emerged that Chope claimed £136,992 in parliamentary expenses in 2007-8. This included claiming £881 to repair a sofa.[11]"

So you think they should just leave him be sleeping in a Brussels park?

No, I think he should be sent back to the UK.

The UK government is perfectly happy with people sleeping in shop doorways, under bridges, in parks… and most of these people are its own citizens, a lot of them English born and bred

1 Like

Then what, stick him in a detention camp because that is what will happen? Everyone assumes that he’s done nothing wrong but clearly the Home Office thinks otherwise, is it not possible they’re right?

I admit to being over-sensitive…but not something to say even in a sort of jest.

The thing is - I’m not joking.

And, yes, I fully understand the significance.

1 Like

It is up to them to deal with it, the case needs to be investigated properly, he should be able to defend himself, he lives in the UK, thought he was a citizen and has a life built up over 20 years. There has to be due process, surely. They can’t just cast him adrift as they have, (and I thought making someone stateless was illegal, see conversations passim re Shamima Begum etc).

1 Like

It is, though I guess the problem is that there is no-one to hold the UK to account.