Favourite Biscuits

McVities chocolate digestives, Tuc for savouries.

1 Like

@IzzyM here they are

They are good!

14 Likes

What a delightful thread! Thank you

Biscuits make for such good reading

I do love a biscuit. Can’t really chose a favourite. Dunking in tea is and dunking has always been a pleasure and daughter has recently brought back some very good Italian du bling biscuits. They’re supposed to be for breakfast with coffee. Very good!

Also I rediscovered TUC when I came to France. It reminds me of school and snacking with friends.

Lastly. Every time I make shortbread it’s a great succès with french people. They can’t believe it’s so easy and no eggs!!

But that just scratched the surface of my biscuit life. Why are biscuits so evocative of happy days and good times? Even when it’s just been munching alone biscuits seem to create a good tempered glow.

Thanks everyone for the trip down memory lane.

4 Likes

Your talents are never ending.
My old dad adored ‘shop bought’ buns and biscuits and yours look so perfect they look just as he would have loved.
Of course made by your own fair hand they must taste twice as good​:yum::yum:

2 Likes

They look incredible!! You are proper talented!!
Izzy xx

2 Likes

Bet there is no high fructose corn syrup in them hahaha, ok enough now :grinning:

Of course not :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I love oatcakes.

I don’t have a sweet tooth but I quite like polvorones, if that counts. Probably because of the lard and spices.

1 Like

You might like rousquilles Catalanes (not the rosquillas from the other side of the border).

2 Likes

I don’t think there is a French word for dunk. Tremper is the nearest I think.

Plonger?

Tremper is what we do with our tartines in our café au lait at breakfast. It means, in that context, exactly what dunk does, only you do it at any time of day with biscuits which disintegrate and leave slurry at the bottom of the mug, whereas we do it only at breakfast with our tartines and just get floating melted butter and bits of crust. Some people trempent their viennoiseries too.

1 Like

Arrrghhhh the floating butter and jam. Makes me want to puke looking at it when MIL (French) and DH do it :rofl: . My mum currently here and keeps telling me how ‘French’ I’ve become but that is one floating butter burg too far :rofl: :roll_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

My breakfast is tea then coffee, no extraneous substances :grin:

2 Likes

The best crackers ever better than anything we can get in the UK so always bring a few packs back

Chabrior crackers nature

1 Like

I agree with Izzy the occasional treat isn’t going to impact greatly on your life expectancy ,but if by knowing you can have that treat you stick to your regime better in the between time, surely it’s all for the good

1 Like

Not a fan of Bullet proof coffee then?

You should start a food blog - or perhaps you already do? :grinning:

1 Like

Is it our imagination or have French cakes /biscuits got sweeter over the years? It used to be (we thought) one of the reasons why we so liked patisseries here because everything (seemed?) less sweet than in the UK. Not any more.

3 Likes

You are almost certaiy correct Sue, the high fructose corn starch is way sweeter tasting than its sugar equivalent and a fraction of the price so it gets adopted by most of the big food manufacturers to increase their bottom line profit whist ruining the health of entire nations. Sugar is a highly addictive drug and the body craves it more and more. People do not understand how I do not have added sugar or sweet junk. Yesterday a colleague at work bought me a caramel chocolate bar, I had to eat it so as not to offend but it was disgustingly sweet, insipid actually but people eat them, my colleague is diabetic, suffers from gout, eats instant porridge with high fructose syrup that I can smell the second they enter the office and the door is twenty paces away.

2 Likes