Favourite Children's Books

Interesting article in the Daily Mail today:-

It may be 70 years since they first appeared, but Enid Blyton’s Famous Five novels remain the books most favoured by parents for their children, a poll reveals.

The adventures of Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog topped a survey in which parents were asked to name their favourite children’s books.

Two other series by Blyton, the Secret Seven and Malory Towers, also made the top five, confirming her status as the nation’s best-loved children’s author.

Among children, however, JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series emerged as the favourite.

The survey, carried out to mark World Book Day today, suggested that children's book tastes are inherited from their parents since choices were similar across both top 10 charts.

Adventure tales, such as Treasure Island, the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Blyton's 21-book series, first published in 1942, were popular among both audiences.

Despite the recent popularity of futuristic titles such as the Hunger Games, the science fiction genre failed to make an impact on the children's list.

Instead, classics such as Thomas the Tank Engine, the Mr Men and Little Miss books and the Gruffalo featured strongly in their top 10.

Authors appearing in both sets of results were Blyton, whose Famous Five tales came fourth on the children's list, as well as Roald Dahl and CS Lewis.

The poll also showed that more than three quarters of children would choose the paper version of a book over an e-book or tablet.

see link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574285/Famous-Five-firm-favourites-parents-Enid-Blytons-stories-poll-adults-loved-childrens-books.html

For Anthony Buckeridge and Jennings would be my favourite Children's book, and for the teenage and older, CS Forester Hornblower. Both i still love, read and collect in original editions when I can.

What are your favourite Children's Books?

Wind in the Willows for a classic, the Twits for more recent, one of the greatest joys , for me of teaching primary was story time and being able to read all those wonderful books!!!

I loved Enid Blyton, from Noddy to the Famous Five and Mallory Towers. My friend were out the other day and a lady was wearing an outfit of orange and brown and we looked at each other and said “Mallory Towers”.

My favourite adventure story was The Coral Island by R M Ballantyne.

I loved Monica Dickens pony books, Black Beauty and Orlando the Marmalade Cat.

I was always at the Library and was allowed to use the adult library on my junior ticket.

One of the books I remember most was the biography of Marie Curie.

I used to love the William books by Richmal Crompton. I had them all and read them over and over again, I wish I still had them.

Now I have started collecting TinTin books, when I can find ones in good condition.

There are two answers to this. The one I enjoyed reading to my children when they were little is Dr Seuss, Fox in Sox. they loved it and l enjoyed the tongue twisting rhymes. As they got older it was possibly Eoin Colfer and the Artemis Fowl Series but there are so many good authors for younger readers I must ask them which ones they enjoyed most.

I didn't have the same choice and I didn't read much until I was older, but my favourite was Lad a Dog. I did enjoy The Famous Five and Little Women.

Loved all the Enid Blyton books, Swallows and Amazons, CS Lewis - just downloaded The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe for my daughter tonight, so interested in the point they make that kids prefer real books. I bought my Kindle as a supplement to real books but now would rather read on that then anything else.

Brian, I also loved the Greyfriars school books. I had read everything in the school at 9 years old so my teacher would bring in his childhood books for me to read therefore I was introduced to Billy Bunter, Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys and the Swallows and Amazons despite being a girl. Interestingly today a good male friend of mine frequently browses my book collection as I'm the only girl he knows, who reads 'boys books'. Adult reading habits are so often set in childhood, I despair that my daughter can not 'escape' into books but hopefully I will find her the right book to light that magic.

Somewhere I have a first edition of Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School, gotta be the one for me. I must have read it 30 times at least since I was about eight.