Feathered Garden Visitors 2020/2021

Looks close!
Gee Maw, we got House Martians!

If they are white under the beakā€¦ martins
Reddish under the beakā€¦ swallows

short forked tail ā€¦ martins
long forked tailā€¦ swallows
(probably easier to judge that when they are in flight)

https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b/rspb-england/posts/swift-swallow-or-house-martin-which-is-it-what-s-the-difference-and-how-can-you-tell

Itā€™s swifts that donā€™t perch. Swallows / house martins, youā€™ll see stacks of them lined up on telegraph wires just before migration. No social distancing then!

1 Like

We have a magpie nest in our cedar. Magpies and jays predate on songbirds, eggs and chicks.
Our neighbour said that previously the chasse would come and destroy the magpie nests. Shame that doesnā€™t happen now.
Larsen traps are very useful in protecting our songbird population.

Buzzards time their hatching so that there are bluetit chicks around to feed to their young. All part of Natureā€™s great plan. But it isnā€™t so easy being at the top of the food chain, as we are finding out!

I have only seen buzzards attacking our hens when they were free range in the orchard. etc etc
There are many small mammals here, voles, mice etc. for them to eat.

They tend to prefer carrion, maybe because it doesnā€™t fight back, but they need easily digestible morsels for their chicks.
They donā€™t drink, but get all their water from what they eat, so they can get into trouble during a long drought.
I once found one that couldnā€™t fly and phoned the local bird hospital, thinking they would send someone out. ā€œJust pick it up and bring it in.ā€ they said. ā€œHow can I do that?ā€ I asked. ā€œJust throw an old coat over it and pick it up.ā€ They were right, it worked. In darkness they become passive and relax. A strange sensation being in such close proximity to a wild creature. . . .

2 Likes

Swallows - the red head gives it away. Great photos!

1 Like

Yes, I think you nailed it. Most books show Swifts, Swallows and House Martins in flight and they donā€™t look the same when perching.
I have a window almost at the same height as the cable, so getting the pictures was relatively easy.

Iā€™ll bite. What is the second bird?

Itā€™s a Jay. A rather shy member of the crow family, but very handsome when seen close up.

Pretty thing found in garden.
Now looking for bird flying in circles. . . . .

1 Like

Beautiful creatures. I live near some oak woodland - they plant oaks all over my land (and the squirrels plant walnuts).

1 Like

Wait til you find one of the azure ones, theyā€™re beautiful !

Iā€™m not sure that he should be there. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Little owl ?

Iā€™d say Little owl too. Athene noctua :heart: cool name and is on the Greek euro coin.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what sort of owl it is but I think itā€™s very young. There were two of them flying around yesterday morning. I was worried about it being where it was because it offered no protection from neighbouring cats. It went a little while later so I hope itā€™s now somewhere safer.

you may (or may not) have heard the parentsā€¦ the call of the Little Owl is (to my ears) a plaintive bark/yelpā€¦ others will be able to describe it betterā€¦ but we have a pair locally and that is how he/she sounds to me.

Iā€™m sure it is a little owl. It wasnā€™t at all concerned that I was close by through the window.