Fed up with Sky box, want more

Hi, we have everything but it costs! Rams TV is a tenner, Spider VPN to get iPlayer on our TV & Virgin Radio on a variety of Amazon devices + 30 € for Sky, BT & all sorts of other stuff.
Have 2 sat dishes, one for UK the other for French TV both free.

pm If you want to know more. Internet is Orange via phone line, up to 24mbps.

Google expat vision. I live in nz. And have all British TV channels. You do need internet connection. Also have it on my phone so when I’m in France I can screen mirror to my tv

1 Like

Hi mick,
You will need a Humax Humax Hdr-1100s box with twin feeds from your sky satellite dish. Freesat uses the same satellite as sky so no realignment is required. This will give you all the freesat channels and with a Humax box the ability to record programes. You will need a HDMI input cable from the Humax box to the tv. For french TV as indicated in other posts you will need a terrestrial yogi antenna pointing at a local transmitter and a french TV with a TNT reciever. ( english TV’s will not work with french TNT). The terestrial antenna plugs directly to the TV. This way you can select the appropriate input and have english and french TV programmes.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, we are thinking about buying a new TV, one with free sat, so that might be the answer to some of our wants, perhaps we could install an aerial for French channels.

Any advice on what tv spec we should look for.

Hi you should look for a french tv with dvb S2 reciever it will also have a conventional arial input for french tv . To be even one step further a smart tv with twin dvb S2 inputs and attach a small disk drive or usb
stick (depends on tv) to the tv that way you can record received programs

1 Like

Many thanks for the info.

I have read all this and having lived without TV for as long as I can remember, I have a question: is it worth it? Serious question. I stopped having a TV in in 1996 shortly after I went freelance because I found it too much of a distraction, I was too torn between not wanting to miss certain programmes and needing to meet work deadlines. So after all this time don’t miss TV at all, people often tell me there isn’t much worth watching in any case and TBH when I end up sitting watching TV at other people’s houses I feel like I’m wasting time. Now that I’m winding down work wise my reason for not having one is no longer relevant but I am just not convinced that it would enrich my life. What does it offer beyond news and current affairs that I get from other channels, the odd good TV drama like Engrenages that I can get on DVD, films I can get from other channels or at the cinema, and late night relaxation that I can get from books and music? Would be interested to hear enthusiastic comments in favour of having a TV to help me decide if it’s for me?

1 Like

Ok any difficulty or help needed please message me direct!