Feeling deflated!

Hi
Forgive me if the answer is obvious. I was cutting the grass yesterday with the lawn tractor when I realised that I had a puncture in one of the tyres. Assuming I can get the wheel off, would an ordinary tyre place be able to do the repair or do I have to go back to my garden equipment man (who is mega busy atm). Sorry, don’t know if it’s tubed or not and nothing in the manual to tell me.

Should say on the tyre - and you can but ask at the tyre place.

What’s the lawnmower make/model.

No, I asked once and they wouldn’t touch it.
But you can get plug kits that are safe for use on off-road vehicles and don’t require you to remove the wheel. Obviously you would also need a pump.

1 Like

I had a flat filled with foam by our local motoculture workshop.

It’s a Husqvarna LT154

A quick fix, but not very professional!

I should have added that if the tyre has come away from the rim, you may need to use a trick to re-seal it.
If the wheel is still attached you need to get it off the ground - jack or long wooden lever. Try to get the tyre as close as you can to the rim and put a “Sangle” (Nylon strap with ratchet tightener) around the circumference of the tyre. Tighten and pump.
If that doesn’t work, a garage pump will normally deliver air fast enough.

Possibly, it’s only lasted six years so far Mike, perhaps I should complain! :wink:

2 Likes

What reading do you get when you check the tyre pressures?

I became fed up with repeated slow punctures on my tractor mower (usually caused by thorns) and so filled all 4 tyres with puncture repair foam purchased from the supermarket. Problem solved. Just used a foot pump occasionally to top up the pressures till they looked about right. Not exactly very ‘professional’ but it worked just fine.

1 Like

Same here. I have to pump up the tyres once or twice a year, but as far as I’m concerned, that’s far easier, and so far it is a solution that has lasted 7 years !

1 Like

Tyres do their job better when correctly inflated.
If you hit a damp patch on a slope you can easily get wheel spin if they aren’t right.

Same here! Foot pump, nothing complicated.

I use a small electric compressor, type that plugs into a car 12v socket (cig lighter), chopped the plug off and connected a couple of crocodile clips to the wires so the ride-on battery can be used.

3 Likes

Very true Mike, but happily my use is all on the flat ( apart from the ruts left by the builders).

Good idea!

Can’t see why a standard tyre fitter couldn’t do it. I had 2 wheelbarrow wheels repaired by my local tyre fitting shop.

Our local car tyre fitter has repaired a couple of punctures in our ride-on mower tyres for 5€ a time. He’s also mended punctures in our car tyres (10€ a time). He even once fixed a manufacturing defect in the tyre of a garden shredder that I’d bought online and didn’t charge me because I was an existing customer and he’d had the same problem with something he bought himself. Needless to say, we now wouldn’t dream of going anywhere else to buy or repair tyres. :slight_smile:

Seems I was unlucky.
I tried Speedy and assumed that I would get the same answer everywhere.
So my revised advice is to phone first before going any distance.