Felled wood

Hello everyone.
We have a forrest around the corner from our house where we go for walks.
We have noticed felled wood all over and as we have a log burner. I was wondering what are the rules on what I can take?
If anything…
Thank you

Do you mean cut and stacked wood?

Every piece of land is owned by somebody, although it may not be obvious just who the owner is…

Thus the forest/woodland near you… and everything in it… belongs to it’s Owner.

However, I do know that our Council has been discussing what to do about Council-owned woodland… which has been coppiced/tidied. Latest I heard was that interested-folk were being invited to pay a certain sum… for the right to remove a certain amount of the felled wood.

Might be worth having a word at your Mairie… they will know who the Owner is and, just maybe, said Owner will be amenable to you taking some of the felled/fallen wood…

But, please… do not simply help yourself… :upside_down_face::relaxed:

2 Likes

In my experience it is best left alone until permission is given to take it, knowing a lot of loggers personally, they are not the type to cross swords with.

2 Likes

No. I mean the wood on the ground. I know not to touch the stacked logs.

As I’ve said… anything and everything in the wood… belongs to the Owner and should not be fiddled with or removed.

While an Owner may be quite happy for folk to wander on or across their land… that will be on the strict understanding that no-one helps themselves to anything… or causes damage of any sort… :relaxed::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Antolin, strange as it may seem, take ‘Anything’ off my land, without permission, you’re stealing it. :slightly_smiling_face:

It offends my inner tidy child, but in many areas the foresters are told to leave the brushwood lying all over the place. I have not worked out why, but you can’t take it. In other areas they do at least move it into areas, again no idea why. The only one I have worked out is the forest surrounding the reservoir they move the brushwood into shallow water to provide breeding grounds for the fish…

In our commune, in the autumn, residents can apply for different sized parcels of woodland at a very low price. Then you have the right to fell the trees on that parcel and take the wood away. In fact you must fell the trees specified, as that’s the point. Many of our neighbour’s do so, old and young. We’ve chosen not to as it’s hard work, and at 50€ a stère it’s worth it to us to buy wood ready cut and dried.

I do find it rather bizarre that around here there is so much mature woodland just left “abandoned”, fallen and dead trees everywhere, just rotting away. Seems such a waste…

Areas that are forested (not commercial pine) are cleared once all the 2m long straight bits are sorted, the remaining mis-shapes, branches etc are piled up to be taken for shredding to feed communal heating systems.

Or in their case Chainsaws!

1 Like

It’s not bizarre, allowing the bits to decay is supporting the animals and bugs eco systems. they do exactly the same in Richmond Park.

1 Like

Of course, with the inheritance sometimes involving several members of the family, often flung far and wide… there will be parcels of land (and properties) which seem to be more or less ignored…

I suspect the hunters like to see ‘cover’ left.

Oh you… stop suspecting…:upside_down_face::fearful::laughing::wink:

In my case we leave the fallen wood to provide for birds and small animals, insects, fungi etc etc… anything that . can make good use of it. :hugs:.

My garden backs onto a ‘sensitive natural space’. Depending on the type of tree, some of the fallen ones are cut and used to make bridges, steps, seats, and recently a very nice open hall for picnics or exhibitions. Others are left in situ and provide a habitat for wild animals.
I am lucky because its a beautiful site and on my doorstep :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A lot of brush and ‘rubbish’ was left as cover for game in the woods in Scotland, pheasant etc, sure it’s the same here. We have a wood at the back, we see a lot of deer in the adjacent field, always a pleasure to watch :slightly_smiling_face:

Percy Pheasant (our daughter named him) would eventually come when called and eat the seeds etc I threw for him out of the window… that was back in the UK… it took a while to gain his trust but it was worth it. We watched, enthralled, as he and/or his family would strut around the garden… magical…

However, we did enjoy eating other pheasant if the opportunity arose…

1 Like

In Scotland I was given pheasant often, couldn’t believe it when the butcher charged only 50p a brace to dress them :slightly_smiling_face:

When I was a kid… I always seemed to find pieces of shot… ugh… had to check/eat so carefully, it put me off for years… (I reckoned it was deliberate… but Mum always denied it…)

1 Like

Same story with pigeons as a kid, but had them since, in Portugal too, delicious :yum: