Fête nationale 2020 and 2021

I loved the ballet sequence just before the end. It must take quite some nerve to do that 300m in the air.

1 Like

We turned up in Castillon-la-Bataille to watch the annual spectacular fireworks display about 15 minutes before it was due to start. The town centre was fairly quiet and surprisingly we were able to drive over the bridge where the fireworks were due to be.

It would appear everyone else except us were told 6 days ago that the display had been cancelled due to raising Covid cases.

A great shame as it is normally an excellent display - and I didn’t manage to stuff myself silly with Chichi which has also become a 14/7 tradition !

Next year perhaps…

(in the meantime there is a display in St Emilion in 2 days time and another in Villefranche-de-Lonchat in 8 days time so don’t need to miss out really!)

I agree Stella! We watched it as usual and enjoyed it more than ever this year - the eclectic choice of music, and the singers, all of whom were new to us. The Marseillaise sung by the young choir and played by the trumpeter was great. The only bémol was that we had to mute the sound each time Stephane Bern came on, but never mind!

I enjoyed the concert very much. And the fireworks. But, like you Graham, we found Stéphane Bern incredibly annoying. Sometimes he was still nattering on when the orchestra had started. But a firm push on the Mute button at each pause soon sorted out that problem. I had to Google the performers and composers, during and after the concert, thanks to missing what he said, but that has added an interesting extra dimension. I found the sheet music of John Adams’ piece *Short ride in a fast machine. No wonder the orchestra were totally concentrated on their scores. Wonderful.

1 Like

This afternoon, I was glad that I could enthuse with my neighbours… about the whole of the 14th July festivities… while we stood (masked and spaced) waiting for the mobile-shop to arrive with our groceries.

Everyone seemed to have enjoyed the whole day, from the morning parades to the last bang of the fireworks.

1 Like

Fabulous music :blush:

1 Like

That was cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTQbNn2ERY

Yes, saw that live… how romantic! They won’t forget that moment in a hurry!!

1 Like

This is the YouTube video of the 2021 Concert de Paris