Fibre for telephone (better internet) - connection costs

When I did that in the city centre of Valencia I got a positive, of course. But a subsequent telephone application for an account went like this

“No such special offer”
“It is on a poster in all the bus stops in Valencia”
“Can’t have a contract. Foreigner. No track record with Orange”
“On the contrary, I have had a mobile account with Orange for 4 years”
“Well, there is no fibre service in your street”
“I took a photograph of a guy installing a fibre box on the wall outside the street door of my building. It has the Orange logo on it”

Orange person puts phone down. We call back. Our number blocked.

Absolutely incredible.
We have no 'phone since the 15th December and we still do not know why!

I’m confused, are you in Spain ?

For now, yes. My flat is for sale as we speak and I will away to FR a.s.a.p. when it sells.

Orange.es was bought by France Télécom [now Orange S.A.] so we are talking about the same company with what looks like the same universally rotten c/s. Tho’ Dusty Millar seems to have found otherwise.

Dan, I’d be grateful for some clarification please. Do you still pay a basic monthly charge for Orange’s telephone landline and the fibre rental is on top? Or does the fibre rental now incorporate the landline rental?

Why should orange.es be the same as orange .fr ?

I’ve been with them , in whatever guise since the 80 s and I’ve always had super service.

2 Likes

Hi Sue - We paid a basic monthly rental for the orange phone landline and internet. Orange are currently doing a promotion here which means we now pay the same monthly amount for the next 12 months for the upgraded fibre connection. It will increase by 5 euros per month next year. We also pay 3 euros per month for the latest Livebox which will not increase. Hope that helps.

As one ‘parent’ corporation with adjacent operating territories it’s likely that management at the top sets the tone throughout.

You have been fortunate. Jane Williamson, in FR and myself in SP have both experienced the Orange way of things and, in her experience it is ‘totally appalling’ and in my experience ‘the pits’.

That’s a big presumption. In the time that I dealt with Orange I had nothing but excellent service. When I return to France I will use them again if their prices are correct. I cannot see how using the reputation of a Spanish company to criticise a French company can be taken seriously.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, that’s very encouraging. We’re due to have ours in the next couple of months or so.

1 Like

Are you dismissing Jane Williamson’s experience, then? As I say, you have been fortunate. The experience of others, in France as in other branches of this company, have not been so blissful.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself after over thirty years of using them in various areas of France.

Quite so. We all speak as we find

Speaking as l find - I think you need to experience Orange here in France before you dismiss them out of hand - They have made enormous strides in their Customer Service and competitive pricing since we first came here over 20 years ago. I have no hesitation in recommending Orange to anyone considering an Internet and Telephone provider. As far as Jane’s problems are concerned that may have more to do with the fact she lives in Cluny an extremely rural environment and l am sympathetic to the difficulties she is experiencing. However, here in the middle of the Graves vineyards in Gironde, the service from Orange has always been topnotch.

2 Likes

I will be delighted to find that the chalk of my experience to date will be transformed into the richest of Pont L’Eveque cheese ( Camembert’s classier cousin) by Orange as you have known it.

I shall smile at them but hide a big stick behind my back!

Don’t know about Pont L being classier !

A good Livarot knocks spots off both of them :+1:

2 Likes

We’ve found them pretty rubbish tbh. And I hate the way the assistants in orange shops are almost universally, consistently unpleasant to the older and ethnic groups of customers.

We have found Orange excellent, both network quality and service. We use Sosh, their cheaper brand, but not cheap as far as quality goes. Service is of course only online, but that suits us well. We have Sosh for internet+landline, 20 €/month incl. Livebox, plus 5€ for unlimited calls to mobiles in France. When fibre arrives (half of village is already done), the price goes up 10€/month.
Our mobile subscriptions are Bouygues, 5€/month incl. 20 GB of data. Yes, I know, very cheap. Bouygues did a mistake, in my view, in May-June 2018: special offer for 12 months, normal, but then 3 weeks after start of offer they sent us both a SMS asking if it would be OK to continue “forever”; we replied OUI. :yum:

1 Like

Well, Peter, I shall give it a go. Pont L is classier than Cam but I am willing to bow the knee to Livarot if it should prove superior.

The write-up here makes it a shoo-in to the #1 spot of soft Normansy cheeses, most likey.

1 Like

Hi, Stella. Just seen this.
We were connected last Wednesday (4 March) by Axione on behalf of Nordnet - no charge. (This was a single length of fibre-optic from the pole to the socket. Time taken about 2 hours for two men through a plastic conduit I’d had laid).
I would suggest that if a provider asks for payment to connect your house, you tell them you are prepared to go elsewhere for connection free of charge.

2 Likes