Finance

Thankyou Nick.

Regards Bill

The ATD procedure is almost exclusively (as far as I know) the work of the tax office in some form or another. Usually, it occurs when all other means for them (the tax office) to get their money from you have failed - this may be that you are ignoring their letters or it could be that they don't have the right address for you so you aren't receiving their letters in the first place. A few years ago, one of my clients (and luckily also a friend) said the Montpellier tax office had contacted him asking him to pay my next invoice(s) directly to them up to a sum of around €3,000 if I remember correctly. It turned out (after MUCH hassle) that this was for the taxe d'habitation that they claimed I owed them for a flat that not only I don't live in, but that doesn't even exist (so obviously, the mail they sent there never reached me. Because the address doesn't exist. GAH). It got sorted out eventually, but involved a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing (tax office, cadastre, etc.). I recommend you go to your local tax office and try and get some information from them... Good luck!

You are very welcome. I joined SFN because there were so many things I was unsure/unaware of when I was deciding whether actually to move here and I've found it beyond helpful/friendly. You fire away with any and all questions you have and a bunch load of members will try and help, including me. I hope the bank can help get to the root of this and it's something that's simply been overlooked. V

Thanks Valerie.you have given me a starting point.Bill

Don't worry, Bill - I too must lead an odd life as for work I listen to English 8-10 hours a day and have very little chance to practise my French with the locals so it's going downhill fast - not quite the plan. Anyway, found this on the vosdroits site. Definitely seems to be a tax-related payment and yes I cheated and translated it:

"The ATD is a procedure whereby the tax obtained from a third party holding money belonging you pay the sum due and not paid by the person who is liable. Most often, it is the bank, but it can also be an individual (a tenant, for example).

The amount due must be of a fiscal nature (taxes, penalties and other costs recovered primarily through taxes).

The procedure of ATD is not to be used for the recovery of a fine."

Oops - I've come back. Forgot the link in case you want to read more http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F31716.xhtml

Gerald, I’m not sure your comment is very helpful or in the vein of the forum. We have here a member seeking advice, and not a question of his linguistic abilities. Please bear in mind that a majority of people use this forum to seek help, not to attract criticism.
You probably speak better French than me, someone else may speak better French than you. It matters not too much. Someone is looking for help, not a judgement.
Kind regards

I can get help with the link. I am having French lessons.my wife speaks French,but had to go back to UK , as her mum has just had a heart attack.we do not live a odd life here.something has simply been overlooked.And I am just asking for a little guidance.l did not mean to offend.

You live in France and you don't speak any French... I could not imagine living in Scotland and not being able to speak any English. You must live an odd life here... I am afraid I can't help you with your problem. Best ask the bank. Ah, yes, I see...

Bill, I don't know if you can understand the link Tim posted (probably not, as you can't speak French), but you'll probably have to sort this out with your tax office. Do you have any outstanding taxes? Fines? Your bank can tell you where to go to get the information, but they are powerless to stop the tax office from helping itself….

http://www.banque-info.com/fiches-pratiques-bancaires/que-faire-en-cas-d-atd-sur-votre-compte-bancaire