Flat tyres soon thing of past? Please, please, please

A seven-year-old neighbour wanted to help wash down my car, and just before we started, she opened the boot, paused and then asked “Why is your boot full of water?”

Two unopened cans of oil in the boot had been pierced/punctured. So too, I found a few minutes later, the tyre of my caravan parked nearby. The puncture marks were identical.

It was her great uncle, who had an oversized sense of what he considered to be his authority around the neighbourhood, being the titular head of a rural farming family, a family I have been neighbours with since 1999/2000, and have known since about 1985. He was known locally as ‘king of the neighbourhood”.

If you don’t toe the line, you suffer the consequences!

It takes all sorts!

There have been instances of similar vandalism right across France… and, in some cases, it’s been going on for years.
Reports get into the News now and again… sometimes the baddies are finally brought to book… sometimes it remains a mystery.

Nasty feeling… that someone will do something so negative/destructive, quite deliberately.

Candidate for a pair of concrete wellies.

1 Like

Apparently controle technique has a rule that on same axle must be same tread, or something

I’m sure that’s the case - like in the UK you couldn’t mix crossply and radial tyres. I didn’t think they were doing anything wrong, but it just doubled the price of a replacement tyre.

This is very common regarding parking in towns and cities. I don’t think there is any automatic right to park on the ‘highway’. It is tolerated by local councils until they decide that a particular stretch of roadway must be subject to some sort of parking control.

Visiting a pal in Bath, I parked near the house in the only space available in a street of terraced houses. There were no parking restrictions in force.

Not long after parking, an indignant fellow was at the door demanding to know whose car was parked in ‘his space’. It was my car. He demanded I move it. As there were no more spaces, I refused, pointing out that he was not entitled to claim any of the public highway as reserved for him. He said he would call the police. I told him that would be a very good idea, to clear up this point.

Plod duly appeared. Having established that I owned the car and that it was in a legal state to drive about on the Queen’s highways, he said he would point out the facts of parking life to the complainant and that “If it goes on like this in these streets in Bath, there will have to be parking permits”.

I suppose that having identified himself and his address as the whinger, the whinger didn’t dare mess with my car.

People can get very odd, with their sense of parking entitlement. I parked outside the front gate of a friend’s house in London. This in a road with no parking restrictions. There was a space ahead of me, there were spaces all over, hard by. When he came back from the shops he went into a foaming rant about me parking in ‘his space’ and called me all sorts of horrid names.

I lived for 20 years in those parts of London which have had res park for decades. R.B. Kensington & Chelsea will give a res park permit to anyone who qualifies. That does not mean you are entitled to a residents’ parking space. It is well known that R.B.K.C. res park permits exceed res park bays by about 30%.

The same in Westminster. I once had to park so far from my flat that in the morning - very late morning after the night before :roll_eyes: that, after trawling the streets all round the area for a considerable time I decided my car had been stolen and reported it so.

Later, the g/f turned up, herself having recovered :face_with_diagonal_mouth: and we went touring around in her car. We found my car in a remote patch of my parking zone.

I once pulled into my street in W9 at some time well past midnight to find Plod and a fleet of tow trucks lifting all the double-parkers. They would all have moved by 08:30 but double parked is double parked - what if the fire brigade had to get adjacent to the flats?

One of the fab things about living in central Valencia was not having to have a car. The s/mkt, the P.O, the health centre, the wonderful Mercardo Central, Av Colon, the main ‘shopping’ street, the railway station, were all <15 mins walk. The beach was 35 mins on a #32. The terminal stop for the airport bus was at the end of my street!

But was too hot… :anguished:

1 Like

Going back to the title of the thread - I think the word ‘soon’ is just a bit misleading.

I learned something in Kew.
When I moved house from there I blocked a Transit-sized space in front of our house around 11am and put a big sign on it “Moving Van arriving”.

As I was putting the sign across the space a couple of people came by in cars and looked hopeful. So I explained we were moving house today and the van would be arriving, it was a Saturday so no restrictions.

One bloke pushed a bit but moved off.
After returning with the van 45mins later the c"^| had dismantled the sign and the chairs and parked in the space.

Loading the van was virtually impossible as the only other spaces were further.down on the other side of the atreet. In a break between moving things atruggling the extra distance and crossing the road carrying stuff, around 5pm, I looked out the window, unfortunately 4 floors up, to see the guy returning to his car furtively.

Before getting into his car he inspected the ground in front of and behind first his offside wheels then his nearside wheels. Then removed his car.

Guess what I learned for next time.

Get the van earlier?

1 Like

One of my site managers had the perfect solution when working on road frontage in Paris. Once the scaffolding / barriers and signage was in place, he’d inspected the site in the early morning. It’s surprising what a bit of thinned down paint stripper can do to eradicate parking problems.

1 Like

You’re too nice :roll_eyes: He would have needed two new tires if it was me in my younger days He’d need a new car now :joy:

3 Likes

A local garage in London had a sign which read “Don’t block these gates - we have a 5 tonne forklift truck and aren’t afraid to use it!” on the gates to their yard.

Walked past those gates twice a day, five days a week for over a decade and never once saw a vehicle parked in front of them.

I don’t resort to retaliation, except perhaps sometimes to flash my lights at the bugger who overtakes me on a solid white line, or too near a blind bend. I get greater satisfaction doing to them exactly what I like, in my mind’s eye – soooo much you can do to them there…!

Wouldn’t you just love to have a magic motoring wand, induce a slow puncture, freeze the throttle pedal, blare the horn - so much more – but that could lead to accidents, so the wand goes out the door, unhappily!

When I still lived in London, I saw close-up, right in front of me from the kerb at the busy road junction by the Angel Islington, a cyclist on his moving bike, holding a stick to which was fixed a length of string, to which was fixed at the end of the string, a large ball of solid looking wool, bigger than a tennis ball, which he slammed down on the boot of the car that he was following, one that had clearly cut him up earlier - ‘THUMP’ - the cyclist had come well prepared…!

The best one is to catch them up then whump! both your hands on the top of the car. It makes a terrifying noise inside the car and is most satisfactory. Without putting you in the position of having damaged the car.

This does feel to the occupants like you have damaged the car. So there will be a brief exchange while they leap out of the car and accuse you of having damaged it, and you point to their undamaged car and mention whatever seems appropriate. The reward is that you will be able to observe their haggard state and the lesson that cyclists are not defenceless will certainly have hit home.

I learned the impact of bashing one’s flat hand on a car’s roof from a French gendarme. He wanted to point out an error I"d made going around the Arc de Triomphe in 7 lanes of whirling traffic. To get my attention as I had enough to think about and hadn’t seen him approach, he slapped the roof of my car above the driver’s seat with his palm.

I was terrified and have re-used the technique since, using 2 hands, with motorists that had tried to kill me on my bicycle, after I’d managed to catch up with them at traffic lights. It was most effective and I can recommend it. (In any future use I’ll probably try to do it in a way that does not leave fingerprints on the car :slight_smile: ).

Seriously folks, don’t be putting your hands on other motorists or their vehicles just because you don’t approve of their driving.

A lot of people have very short fuses these days.

2 Likes

Good advice. DH had some one road rage him and he was punched 3 times in the face while sitting, strapped in the car last month in Perigueux. We went to our village gendarmerie (PX didn’t answer at the time :roll_eyes: ) and she said they are seeing more and more!

1 Like

I needed to go into town but roadworks were in the way locally, so went out the back way, through vineyards. The track was winding and narrow, rough and bumpy, so drove carefully at an appropriate speed.

A white Citroen appeared in the rear-view mirror, right up my backside, and stayed stuck to my backside as we weaved through the vineyards.

We reached a 30 km speed limit tarmac road on the edge of a village, where he overtook me on a striped speed hump, and pulled away. I flashed my lights at him.

Around the bend he had stopped at a road junction, and was getting out of his car. I continued a little further towards him but braked and stopped at a distance – he was marching aggressively towards me down the middle of the road. His body language, the greyness of his complexion, his bony arms and legs said to me this ‘aint good. I reversed and drove round him on the wrong side of the road - he looked dangerous.

And would you believe it – he appeared in my rear-view mirror a few days later on the same vineyard track. I pulled over and waited. He waited, I continued to wait, and eventually he drove on.

Temper, temper - you can never tell can you…!

Probably a bit off topic. I run run flats in my mountain bike and gravel bike tubeless setup wheels. Basically an expensive piece of pipe insulation. Normally that allows to run lower pressure while avoiding snake bike punctures. Makes me think though when you add up the valves, sealant, liners, tyres i could probably buy a car tyre.