Flexible, Moveable Fencing?

I’d be grateful for suggestions please.

I have just been hammering tomato stakes into our lawn and attaching grey ground cover fabric between each stake to keep our Airedale out of the part of the garden where we have a large cherry tree. She eats anything and doesn’t know when to stop, so the partly eaten cherries pulled off the tree by the birds and lying all over the grass are a real treat.

In a few weeks time I’ll be doing the same again in another part of the garden where we have plum trees - large quantities of cherry and plum stones in her stomach are not a good idea!

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for how I might rig up something a bit more attractive than the stakes plus ground cover? I wondered about flexible trellising on its side - it just needs to be a barrier that she can see clearly (her eye sight’s not great) otherwise she’ll blunder through it. Something reasonably moveable would also be a good idea as we are mowing every few days at the moment and the stake/ground cover system is not very easy to move.

Thanks (as always) for any thoughts / suggestions.

1 Like

Don’t people use those rolls of square-wire fencing for that? you could build it so that all or part of it unhooks from the posts in seasons when not needed. UK Aldi has those rolls every year, plain wire or green plastic about 5m each not too expensive. I think I’ve seen similar rolls of fencing in a brico here - possibly Bricomarche.

We have rolls of sheep fencing that we use to protect fruit trees from our fruitarian dog…like this ((but we don’t electrify it for pooch!).

https://agrarzone.fr/filet-a-moutons-agrarzone-50m-electrifiable-90cm-double-pointe-vert?curr=EUR&gsads=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nl88WLoABfFdJW-1aNx4hOit0Wc81-6HekuQ5beyryRYHb9DYJT_MAxoCMh8QAvD_BwE

1 Like

That looks really interesting Jane. Thanks. Easy to move, flexible.

Does it come with the metal stakes already in place? From the photo, it looks like it does. If so, and they are included in the price, that is just spot on.

Like you, no need to electrify, just need have the physical barrier.

Une caractéristique particulière de ce filet à moutons est les 14 piquets en plastique stables

1 Like

At the moment the stakes and ground cover I put in last night are horizontal! The high wind coming across the fields has knocked it all flat. That fine netting is looking increasingly attractive. :grin:

They come in a roll with sharp pointy stakes that go into most ground. We sometimes have to add a guy stake to keep them very taut as they are quite flexible and pooch can be determined when it comes to plums. Sheep are less intelligent than he is.

The only problem is the colour, as most quite horrid. And I think for your dog to be able to see it you need the yellow.

1 Like

@JaneJones Thanks, really helpful.

As you dont want to electrify it you are paying a premium for the product. Std bird netting black would be a lot cheaper as would the rolls of orange netting used as temporary barrier around small road works etc.
I use this with line pins, dont know if those are available in french bricos.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have gone with Jane’s idea, the benefit being, stakes all integrated in one roll of netting, so VERY easy for OH to just pull out the stakes and move the lot to one side so he can mow and I’m not having to create a system from scratch each time I put it back. Also, our Airedale blunders through nearly everything, so I want a system that has a certain amount of robustness. If necessary I can double the fencing back on itself to give two thicknesses.
I’ve bought it this morning from Gamm Vert - I will report back.

Please do report back, Sue. The product looks very interesting and we are thinking about it!